Thread: Random Lockups

Default Random Lockups

I've re-used a Mini-ITX system that was running Windows 7 just fine for my Untangle box which initially ran fine, like over 30 days with no issues. Now lately I am getting random lockups every 3 days or so and I can't find anything in the logs which would help point me in the direction of this being software, hardware or other.

This is a very generic box, Gigabyte GA-E350N motherboard, 8GB of tested ram, 256GB Crucial SSD, all of which ran fine under Windows 7 which if it is going to crash, that should crashing it more than Untangle. The only added hardware was the secondary NIC, a Startech PCI-Express Gigabyte "Server" NIC using a Realtek RTL8111H.

I can build a different box I guess but I'm hesitant to point at a hardware failure as being the issue. Open to suggestions.

This isn't diagnostics, just the worst kind of troubleshooting by starting out with swapping hardware.

But get a NIC based on Intel chips.
    Search these forums if you want the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    This isn't diagnostics, just the worst kind of troubleshooting by starting out with swapping hardware.

But get a NIC based on Intel chips.
    Search these forums if you want the whole story.
    I may be looking at a heat issue. Took the case cover off and CPU heatsink was pretty warm. This board/CPU setup is an elongated heatsink with a 40mm fan in the middle, maybe an inch of taller 10mm fins on either side of the CPU. Fan blows directly down on a set of small fins right over the CPU while the larger ones on either side are basically passive. Left the case off for two days, no lockup, while I ordered a replacement "super effective" 40mm replacement fan which went in today. Basic "feel" test seems cooler to the touch. (Got to love marketing on things like fans).

There is no "case" fan and really no built in way of adding one as this case is designed to be small and quiet. I'd have to rig a side panel fan coming off a 5 volt rail to pull air across the CPU which is doable. Don't think one of those slot fans would do much as the fan would be way to the rear and airflow would basically bypass the CPU/heatsink.

Will see how it works with this new "super" fan. They actually placed raised ridges on the fan blades saying it causes better airflow, love it.
    Jim.Alles likes this.