Untanglit

Question When do you know you need a memory upgrade?

So i just installed (started using) untangle this week. I thought the box i was going to have it on had plenty of memory (6GB). I actually thought 6GB would be enough for a small business but i'm using this for home use. I have noticed the memory slowly creeping up day by day. At first it was barely using 2GB now its 75.8% of the memory or 4.6GB. I didn't know if untangle was like another piece of software i use (Microsoft SQL Server) where it will use as much memory as it can. So if you add more it will use more or if this sounds like i need something with more memory? I am using most of the functionality that comes with untangle out of the box other than VPN (which i will probably use in the future) & SSL Inspector (which i have no plans to use).

I doubt you need more than 6GB. Linux system will reserve as much memory as it can without using it. Post the memory usage from a week. Reports -> System / Memory Usage
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Linux is very much like MS SQL server in this regard!

MS SQL sucks up all the RAM it can to cache as much database as it can in RAM to accelerate lookups. Linux does the same thing with the filesystem!

If you want to see the details, you need to SSH into your box and run the command: free -h

Here is what mine outputs

Code:
    [root @ untangle] ~ # free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          3.7Gi       2.4Gi       112Mi        52Mi       1.2Gi       1.1Gi
    Swap:         3.8Gi       664Mi       3.1Gi
    3.7Gi of RAM (4 GB), 2.4Gi used, 112mi free, and 1.3Gi in buff/cache That buff/cache is filesystem caching, basically junk that belongs on the HDD sucking up space in RAM. As the RAM needs climb, the OS dumps stuff out of the cache. If you run out of cache... that's when you need to think about a RAM upgrade.

Short answer, no you don't need more RAM.
    ncage likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    I doubt you need more than 6GB. Linux system will reserve as much memory as it can without using it. Post the memory usage from a week. Reports -> System / Memory Usage
    Thanks I definitely will after i have it up and running for a week. Here is what i have so far:
    System-Memory_Usage-22.07.2020-2055.png

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Linux is very much like MS SQL server in this regard!

MS SQL sucks up all the RAM it can to cache as much database as it can in RAM to accelerate lookups. Linux does the same thing with the filesystem!

If you want to see the details, you need to SSH into your box and run the command: free -h

Here is what mine outputs

Code:
    [root @ untangle] ~ # free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          3.7Gi       2.4Gi       112Mi        52Mi       1.2Gi       1.1Gi
    Swap:         3.8Gi       664Mi       3.1Gi
    3.7Gi of RAM (4 GB), 2.4Gi used, 112mi free, and 1.3Gi in buff/cache That buff/cache is filesystem caching, basically junk that belongs on the HDD sucking up space in RAM. As the RAM needs climb, the OS dumps stuff out of the cache. If you run out of cache... that's when you need to think about a RAM upgrade.

Short answer, no you don't need more RAM.
    Thanks sky great explanation.
    JinhooUp10tion likes this.

As usual, people come to the understanding that they need to upgrade their RAM when their computers are running slowly, stalling, or crashing. Personally, I have a similar understanding when I use more resource-intensive programs.