View Poll Results: How much RAM do you use for Untangle? Multiple-choice for multiple boxes that you run

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1GB and below

0 0%
  • 2GB

3 6.98%
  • 4GB

15 34.88%
  • 6GB

0 0%
  • 8GB

19 44.19%
  • 12GB

0 0%
  • 16GB

7 16.28%
  • 24GB

1 2.33%
  • 32GB and above

3 6.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yep, that and 4gb DIMMs are almost on the way out. 8GB is a pretty standard RAM volume for any system to get started on these days.

You don't need it for Untangle, but you may as well get it, since it costs an extra $5? And might just ship a little quicker.
    JasonJoel and Marty_B like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

IMO, 4MB is where you should start with.

I'm using a u25 because I got it for free. It came with 2GB of RAM. This wasn't enough with the HomePro subscription to run the apps I wanted properly; RAM was constantly 90% full.
    While probably not supported as waranteed hardware, this box wasn't warranted, so I opened it, and was able to replace the 2GB DDR3 module with a 4GB one. I don't run out of RAM any more.

I rarely go over 60% usage, and I have Virus Blocker, Ad Blocker, Web Filter, Firewall, Intrusion Prevention, Threat Prevention, Application Control, Directory Connector, Reports, OpenVPN, IPSec VPN, and Configuration Backup running. I'd guess 8MB would become more important if you had more than the standard users license, or have a very fast connection (I have 300M down, 25M up).
    bmanfield likes this.

Master Untangler

Using an SSD I opted for 8GB RAM to minimize the swap file usage and with a little luck prolong the life of the SSD.
    Untangle 16.1.1 (Build: 20201028T105733) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    Using an SSD I opted for 8GB RAM to minimize the swap file usage and with a little luck prolong the life of the SSD.
    With the wear-leveling, by the time the SSD dies, you'll probably have bought a different firewall. But 128GB mSATA SSDs can be had for a pittance used.

I have a few spare 128GB ones, but there was no real reason to swap the 32GB in my u50; it's not even close to full.

Untangler

Home user here with 2 installs, one bare metal, the other one in a VM.

I have never seen Untangle use less than 2GB and never seen it use more then 4GB. That tells me that for a home user, 4GB is the answer to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post

I have never seen Untangle use less than 2GB and never seen it use more then 4GB. That tells me that for a home user, 4GB is the answer to the question.
    Depends on the amount of logging you do. I'm using around .58gb / day myself. So the 120gb SSD I have in my NFR here at home is rather bored even holding 30 days of data. But it really does depend on how much logging you do and how busy your network is. I assume about 1gb / day just as a loose average if I don't have anything to go on otherwise.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post

Not always. With around 100 devices, I am constantly hitting 4 to 5 GB average utilization out of the available 16GB.

That said, I am considering reducing the available memory to 8GB. I could reallocate the extra stick of RAM elsewhere where it is more needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12