View Poll Results: How much RAM do you use for Untangle? Multiple-choice for multiple boxes that you run

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1GB and below

0 0%
  • 2GB

3 6.98%
  • 4GB

15 34.88%
  • 6GB

0 0%
  • 8GB

19 44.19%
  • 12GB

0 0%
  • 16GB

7 16.28%
  • 24GB

1 2.33%
  • 32GB and above

3 6.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default How much RAM do you use for Untangle?

As the title states... Just out of curiosity.

Use multiple-choice if you have more than one Untangle box.
    Last edited by oj88; 08-16-2020 at 06:10 PM.

It depends on a ton of variables, but for most applications 4gb is plenty. Going beyond that means you need 10gbit throughput, or more.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I purchased an old supermicro server on ebay for around $160. Was planning on using it to move everything to VMs.... Never happened because I was worried about performance concerns of Untangle in a VM. So now my Untangle box is 64gb of ram split between 2 cpus that total 16 cores.

Untangler

@Flak this is for sure an overkill . I must say that v15.1 uses about 8-10% more RAM comparing to the previous versions. I would say 4Gb is not plenty, it's OK for an average user with 10-15 devices using the majority of apps in Untangle. I went for 8Gb just to be on the safe side and future ready.
    theoak likes this.

Master Untangler

My home system with ~100 total devices (although not all hitting the internet simultaneously) never uses > than about 2.5GB ram (see graph below, system has 8GB ram).

But, just like everyone else said, it depends on traffic and what apps are installed / how many racks you use.

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 8.55.55 PM.png
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 08-17-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    My home system with ~100 total devices...
    We have very similar environments... 100 or so devices.

I used to have 4GB and it was constantly about 70% full. Consequently, it's using a bit of swap between 15 to 25%.

I recently upgraded the RAM to 16GB (because I found some cheap DDR3s) and the memory utilization now sits at around 20%. The thing I'm happy about is that it is no longer using swap.

That really is what you have to watch for, if you see swap being used... you need more RAM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That really is what you have to watch for, if you see swap being used... you need more RAM.
    In general yes, but that isn't perfect either. Sometimes the system will start using swap for reasons that I have never understood.

The other day I looked and there was 1.7GB ram in use out of 8GB - yet swap usage was 500MB for some reason. :shrug:

In fact, looking right now:
    Capture.PNG

I guess I don't know why there is so much swap usage. Seems like there is plenty of free RAM... Maybe time to reobot?
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 08-18-2020 at 08:32 AM.

That's just the OS using the memory it has, Linux will consume somewhere between half a gig and a gig of swap just sitting idle if it's there.

Point is whatever that baseline is for your unit, if you see it creep up beyond that it's time for RAM.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

These days I shoot for 8...it's overkill, but since RAM is cheap...why not.
    4 is actually fine for small to medium setups.
    We have at least 35 Untangle servers in product. Right now I just remoted into 2 of them.
    1 is on a 300 meg connection, serving a network of typically 75 or so users (showing 71 right now), plus Datto Siris backing up 7 server all the time, TSGateway to a terminal server of around 15-30 concurrent users at any time. And I have 2x racks/policies. RAM is 41% used, 59% free..out of 8 gigs. Swap 2.6% used.

Now, another server for a school..also has 8 gigs installed. MultiWAN. 6x racks. Currently a light load for them, since school isn't in session but some staff is, about 90 there now, RAM 30.7% used, 69.3% free. During peak usage in school season, I don't think I've seen more than 80% used.
    Resident "Geek on a Harley" in Southeast Connecticut, USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast