Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New hardware for home build

Hey Everyone,
    Been using untangle for awhile but with latest 15.1 udpate the new kernal doesnt work with my server. I get kernal panics and on fresh install its just a black screen on setup.
    Looking at new build on amazon..anyone confirm if this motherboard and CPU will work fine?

MSI ProSeries Intel Coffee Lake H310 LGA 1151

Intel Core i3-8100

Master Untangler

You could look at one of the Qotom units. Just search on Amazon for the flavor, CPU, RAM you are looking form. $300 range for an i5, 8GB RAM, 128 SSD, 4 network ports, USB3, HDMI.
    Bollar and Marty_B like this.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untanglit

I've been recommending Protectli hardware vs. a custom PC build. Fanless, 4 ports, AES-NI, etc. I have 3 deployed so far and they have been very stable.

https://protectli.com/
    Bollar likes this.

Master Untangler

I've used both the 4 port and 6 port Qotom devices, and have had no issues with them.

Untangler

Qotom all the way . They are cheap and reliable. I'm using 6 port for the second year now, no issues whatsoever.

Untangler

Another vote for Qotom, had mine since April and no issues so far. The Protectli stuff looks fair too, the added option of a cheap UPS if that matters to you.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    Another vote for Qotom, had mine since April and no issues so far. The Protectli stuff looks fair too, the added option of a cheap UPS if that matters to you.
    Add me to the qotom user list. the only problem i have had is that lightning hit near my house and zapped my cable modem and one port on on the qotom pc. It still works well, just down one of 4 ports.

Master Untangler

I use a Qotom-Q555G6-S05 for my home gateway, as I needed 5 ports (prefer to do VLANs with dedicated NICs since 10Gb is still expensive for home use).

Love it.

Just out of curiosity, outside of wanting newer hardware why wouldn't it be a good idea to just reuse older hardware that's cheaper? Is it just to have something smaller and more discrete?

For example, I use an old Optiplex 790 that has an i5-2400, 8GB of RAM, and a 64GB SSD and two cheaper dual Realtek NIC's. Whole build for my Untangle box was under 120$ with the most expensive piece being the 790 with shipping @ $40. It's ugly, but it just sits up on a shelf and does its job and doesn't struggle with throughput with gigabit internet.

Untangler

It is a good idea. I used one for years. I only replaced it when it failed. Having a fanless PC with SSD is nice and quiet and uses much less power. And older pc that you described is more than enough horsepower.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast