Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untangler

Your best bet is to use business laptops like IBM or Dell manufactured around 2015ish or below which might have expresscard support. Not sure about the consumer models. expresscard was superseded by thunderbold.

Don't laugh, Have a teenager 11year old Thinkpad t400 running Untangle.

I'm a fan of older thinkpads... built like a tank and just won't die, so here is a link that shows Thinkpads with expresscard if you are interested: https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ExpressCard_slot

Untanglit

The laptop has a mini PCI-e WiFi card. I guess I could take that out and put in something like this:https://www.amazon.com/CREST-SI-MPE2.../dp/B01N9HNXBB. But this seems like a ugly solution.

Untanglit

If I was going to buy something used I would be inclined to get an old Dell Optiplex. For less than $200 you can get a quad core with 8GB RAM. Put an Intel 2x gigabit NIC in it and you would be off to the races I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumboogy View Post
    Its a Plugable USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (model USB3-E1000) plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the PC.
    Then it's USB 2.0, which means it's CPU bound and will give you crappy performance even if it works.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

OK. Thanks for the advice.

I had a lot of old IT stuff scattered around the garage and my wife "cleaned" it up by piling it all up into a 4-5 foot stack in the center. So I will just have to dig through that to see if I can find an old NIC card. I know that there are a couple in there somewhere...
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12