Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Which CPU/RAM for my home rollout ?

Dear all,

I'm looking for the installation of untangle NG Firewall in order to secure my home network and my IOT devices. I'm not sure which will be the best combo CPU/RAM for this rollout

I have a 1Giga fiber internet access and in the future a 10Giga access.

I plan to use IPS, AV and threat prevention (free), app control, AD blocker, SSL Inspection and more. My plan was to buy a qotom hardware with an I5 CPU and 8Go of ram, but maybe it's overkill.

I have around 20 devices at home and in the future I plan to plug a WIFI AP behind the firewall.

An appliance with two ports will be enough (1 Wan and 1 LAN), if needed I will plug a switch to the firewall appliance. An appliance with a 10Giga interface (with VLAN capability) can be interesting.
    Last edited by jibe; 09-14-2020 at 03:47 AM.

The thing to watch for is PCI lanes. Untangle must move each packet from the initial network interface to the CPU for processign, then back to the out to the destination interface, while at the same time writing log information to disk. Many of the consumer machines you can use are way over-provisioned in CPU, RAM, and disk, but don't have enough PCI bus lanes to move all that traffic around. They can make it difficult to reach gigabit speeds, let alone 10G.

And speaking of 10G: save your money. I have 500 people on campus, composed mainly of residential college students. The entire campus spends more than 75% of the time using less than 250mbit. The only time we peak out our 500mbit connection is when the big game updates come out, and 60 playstations all want to download the next 40GB Call of Duty update at the same time. For an individual home, there's nothing out there that will let you take advantage of 10G speeds.
    NoahGreat likes this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

For 1Gbps at home, I recommend the Qotom Q355G4, which is plenty. You can upgrade to the Q555G6 if you want more horsepower or more than 4 Ethernet ports, but I don't think it's needed.

4GB of DRAM is the right size for Untangle in a home setting, even with everything turned on.

Thanks both for your reply, I will stay on giga interfaces for now and as I understand an I5 with 4Go of ram will be enough.

@jcoehoorn can you be more specific about PCI lanes, do you have some CPU example ?

PCIe Lanes have nothing to do with the CPU, and everything to do with the mainboard selected.

As always, you cannot build a computer by simply slapping together parts. Sure it might work, but you're rolling the dice. Properly engineered systems are required to do the job well, and in Untangle's case just like any other OS designed to work with networking on this level, there are specific requirements to be met.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

You're right, my bad PCIe Lanes are related to the motherboard.

I'm aware that there is some requirements to be met, it's why I opened a subject here

If you have some example of required hardware feel free to send me some appliance example

Master Untangler

I use a Supermicro 5018D-FN8T both at home and at work for 1Gbps Fiber with everything except for SSL Inspector, Spam Blocker, Phish Blocker, Web Cache, and Application Control Lite running.

It has 2xSFP+ ports so when we move to 10Gbps it should work well too....hopefully.

Currently with 5 people connected via OpenVPN the CPU is sitting at .52 and we are using 4.3GB of RAM. We generally have ~40 devices active at the office.

If you really want to plan for 10Gb internet the Supermicro 5019D-FN8TP is more than up to the task and Linus Tech Tips is using that with his 10Gb fiber connection.
    atomicboy likes this.

For 1Gbps at home, I recommend the Qotom Q355G4, which is plenty. You can upgrade to the Q555G6 if you want more horsepower or more than 4 Ethernet ports, but I don't think it's needed.

4GB of DRAM is the right size for Untangle in a home setting, even with everything turned on.

Master Untangler

You use up the ports faster than you think.

I have one port to my wifi access point.

One to my SmartThings (home automation and security).

One to a Powerline.

Obviously one for the cable modem.
    Untangle 16.2.0 (Build: 16.2.0.20201222) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

@theoak It's usually much cheaper and more effective to get a switch for all of those things, and connect Untangle's internal interface to the switch.
    skearton, Jim.Alles and theoak like this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast