Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Hardware?

srj

Yes I just set up a Protectli box and so far so good. Seem to be well built and was easy enough to get up and running. Performance is fine - cpu load is very low with quite a few apps running.

Master Untangler

I still vote for the Supermicro 5018D-FN8T as until 10Gb WAN is common for home use it's the best option for the home power user that wants to enable all of the bells and whistles in Untangle plus have the ability to run a 10Gb LAN without diving into L3 routing on their switches.

I run one at home and at work and they are fantastic.

After seeing our systems using 4.5GB of RAM I wouldn't go less than 8GB of RAM with Untangle now. I have 16GB in each system currently as it was cheap.
    atomicboy likes this.

srj

Agree on the memory. I also put in 16 since it was so cheap - certainly way more than needed but offers plenty of headroom for any future needs that might come up.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    I still vote for the Supermicro 5018D-FN8T as until 10Gb WAN is common for home use it's the best option for the home power user that wants to enable all of the bells and whistles in Untangle plus have the ability to run a 10Gb LAN without diving into L3 routing on their switches.

I run one at home and at work and they are fantastic.

After seeing our systems using 4.5GB of RAM I wouldn't go less than 8GB of RAM with Untangle now. I have 16GB in each system currently as it was cheap.
    I want one of these Super Micro units, but the $800 price tag tells me I will have to wait. I will have to get by with the i3-4130 2 core, 4 threads CPU, 8 GB Ram and a 120Gig SSD in an old Dell 3020 that I saved from being sent as a donation to a local charity for electronics recycling. Added an i340-T4 4 port Intel Server NIC card I found for $62.00. I have 1 Gig Down, 30 Mbs up from my ISP and I have regularly speed tested in the high 800 Mb/s for download speed with this setup. 915 Mb/s with no Apps. My Z4 was only capable of around 500 Mb/s as is stated in its specifications.

I went with a Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F and an i3-4150t. The motherboard has 4 intel gb nic built in and cost $80 on ebay, the cpu was $25.

I have it in a Barracuda firewall 1u case I snagged on craigslist for $30. I just used ram and ssd i have laying around.

This easily speed tests at 940Mb/s up and down with apps like firewall and intrusion prevention running. The case would allow me to add a 10gb nic if I ever need it in the future and I can also upgrade the cpu if needed. I'm trying to keep things at the bare minimum to keep power consumption low. Kill-a-watt shows this box running at around 18w on average.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    Get a Qotom Q355G4, ~$225 shipped (naked) quad-core i5 and able to do 1Gbps fully featured without a sweat. Add 4GB of DRAM and an SSD and you're set.

If you have been looking at the Z4 Plus, the Qotom will look familiar.
    Looking at the specs of the Q355G4 it has an Intel Core i5-5200U Processor which is a duel core not quad core... Reading over various forum posts on here I thought that even a slower quad core processor like the celeron J3160 would perform better than a faster duel core processor due to the multi threaded nature of Untangle...?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by srj View Post
    Yes I just set up a Protectli box and so far so good. Seem to be well built and was easy enough to get up and running. Performance is fine - cpu load is very low with quite a few apps running.
    Which Protectli Model did you get..?

srj

I got the Vault 6 port with Core i5 with 16gb memory and 480gb ssd

If you guessed it right, it's a hardware quality problem

I got this one Qotom-Q555G6-S05 i5 7200U AES-NI 6 LAN NIC Ports (8G DDR4 RAM + 128G MSATA SSD + WiFi) works like a charm !
    But yes I think for your usage a i3 with 8Gb of ram should do the trick easily.

Also got this one, Qotom-Q575G6-S05 i7 7500U Dual Core 6 LAN (16G DDR4 RAM + 128G MSATA SSD + WiFi) to run as a Unbuntu server.
    All in all, Qotom is a good brand
    soldier likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12