Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question z4 Plus and Unifi Dream Machine (UDM)

Just got the new z4 Plus and am now trying to figure out how to disable Unifi Dream Machine (UDM)'s built-in DHCP server so the z4 Plus can do its job by assigning IP addresses through UDM switches and wireless access points. How do I do that? Right now it's set up this way and I don't like it.

Modem -> z4 Plus (192.168.50.1) -> UDM (192.168.55.1) -- all devices are being funneled into one DHCP internal IP address on z4.

Any idea?

Thanks!

And you come to the Untangle forums asking how to configure a Unifi device? But I'm bored today... so I'll answer you anyway. Welcome to the Untangle forums!

Honestly, I'd just not use the UDM, those devices assume entirely too much and integrating a 3rd party device to replace any of its functionality is disproportionately difficult. It's not impossible however, just a bit annoying.

As for disabling DHCP on Unifi, log into your controller, config -> networks, edit the network in question, find the DHCP Mode option, set it to None.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thank you. I forgot to mention that I’ve done that part already and nothing happens. After I reboot the UDM, the IP address are not being assigned. Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by flyboysr71 View Post
    Thank you. I forgot to mention that I’ve done that part already and nothing happens. After I reboot the UDM, the IP address are not being assigned. Hmm?
    yeah, that is because of double NAT. all that NGFW sees is the UDM.

I have never played with a UDM, but I think getting it off of your network is appropriate for your goal.

(What he said)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Honestly, I'd just not use the UDM,

I'm assuming the UDM's internet port is empty, because if it isn't none of this is going to be happy.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Well... never mind then. All I need to do is unplug the ethernet from WAN then plug it in one of four ports (switches) on the UDM. That's it. I think having an "All-in-one" unit throws me off for some reason. I'm used to having each piece of equipment serving its own purpose separately.
    Jim.Alles and CMcNaughton like this.

Yep, all that integration is wonderful if you want to use it all. But when you don't, things get weird...

I've literally gotten old and gray dealing with weird... rather tired of it honestly!
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Having used the UDM-PRO I'd junk it for the Untangle and leave it at that. I'd use pretty much any of the NGFW / Firewall options over a UDM-PRO.

UDM-PRO, half baked, missing key functionality, constantly seems to be running on beta releases.

To be fair that's most of Unifi's stuff... but their layer 2 stuff is pretty solid. So I use the crap out of their WAPs and Gen1 switches. Untangle at the head of that stack is pretty magical.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by flyboysr71 View Post
    Well... never mind then. All I need to do is unplug the ethernet from WAN then plug it in one of four ports (switches) on the UDM. That's it. I think having an "All-in-one" unit throws me off for some reason. I'm used to having each piece of equipment serving its own purpose separately.
    If you're using the UDM as an AP, sell it and buy a Unifi AP instead.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast