Default Hardware upgrade to boost bandwidth

Hi all

Been looking over the forum this morning, but haven’t seen anything that answers my question, so though I would look for some feedback…

Happy Untangle customer for 2 years, running on a Protectli 6A (Intel Dual Core Celeron 3865U, 8GB, 32GB mSATA) at home with 25+ of connected devices/apps (streaming, smart switches, Zoom, etc). Considering a hardware boost to support the extra traffic from some new services and to take advantage of the additional bandwidth from my ISP. Currently maxing out around 300-350Mbps each, up and down. Shooting for 750+ Mbps each direction.

I’m thinking of upgrading to a new Protectli with i5-8250U 4 Core @ 3.4GHz w\ Intel i210 Gigabit Ethernet. Running IDS, AV, AD block, Web filter, Web Cache. No QOS. Planning to run Wireguard or OpenVPN down the road.

Based on the Celeron vs Core i5 and Intel 82583V vs i210 (PCIe 1 vs PCIe 2.1), should I theoretically be able to achieve my goal? Or should I be looking for another option?

THX, Barry

Hi,

To give you some insight, i currently run a "Protectli Vault 4 Port, Firewall/Mini PC - Intel Quad Core, AES-NI, 8GB RAM, 120GB mSATA SSD" from Amazon with:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Celeron J3160, 64 bit, up to 2.2GHz, AES-NI hardware support
    PORTS: 4x Intel i210 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 2x USB 3.0, 1x RJ-45 COM, 2x HDMI

I have a 1gbps/40mbps line with 50 devices and I get 940mbps download and 40mbps upload doing speedtests on my network, i see no lag or noticeable stress on my hardware during this. I hope this helps.

Interesting comparison...thank you. Looking at the CPU specs, you have more cores and L2/L3 cache, but the 3865U has a higher base frequency.

I'm very curious if the better NIC (i210 chipset) is making a significant difference.

Untangler

I have a couple of Qotom and Yanling (Protectli OEM) boxes with i5-5200U CPUs and they easily deal with Gb (symmetric), with IPS and QoS on.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    I have a couple of Qotom and Yanling (Protectli OEM) boxes with i5-5200U CPUs and they easily deal with Gb (symmetric), with IPS and QoS on.
    THX for the info.

Probably overkill, but I pulled the trigger on the i7 model to 'future proof' a bit. I'll do some basic tests and report back in case anyone is interested.