Untangler

Default Untangle 2.5 Gbps Supported Options

Hello everyone.

Are there any 2.5 Gbps pcie cards that are supported with Untangle?

I've considered picking up an QXG-2G2T-I225 or maybe an X550 since it will run at 2.5 Gbps. I have an HP t730 that I would run Untangle on.

Thanks in advance.

S

Untangler

I can't answer your question directly, but what I have picked up from reading through these forums is that it is better to skip the 2.5 and the 5 Gbps cards altogether and jump to the 10 Gbps cards if at all possible?
    For whatever reason, there is poor support for the 2.5 and 5 cards in Debian which is what Untangle is built around. But the 10 gig cards seem OK.

Alternatively, if you research support available in Debian 10 (Buster) for any potential cards that you are looking at, that will give you an idea as to whether it will work in Untangle or not
    sclawrenc likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jim1985 View Post
    I can't answer your question directly, but what I have picked up from reading through these forums is that it is better to skip the 2.5 and the 5 Gbps cards altogether and jump to the 10 Gbps cards if at all possible?
    For whatever reason, there is poor support for the 2.5 and 5 cards in Debian which is what Untangle is built around. But the 10 gig cards seem OK.

Alternatively, if you research support available in Debian 10 (Buster) for any potential cards that you are looking at, that will give you an idea as to whether it will work in Untangle or not
    Thank you for your help on both fronts. I am working with a 2.5 Gbps modem which is why I wanted to go with one that supports the 2.5 Gbps speed. I believe the 10 Gbps card (Intel X550) will work at 2.5 Gbps, but I wonder if Debian 10 would support it? I will look into it further, and thanks again.

Untangler

I am not able to find any evidence that QXG-2G2T-I225 is or is not supported with Untangle (Debian).

Here is the link to it.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_4_speed.html

Anyone have a definitive answer either way?

Thanks in advance.

It helps, if you link the actual manufacturer's link to the real part:

https://shop.qnap.com/index.php?rout...product_id=388

That card uses an Intel I225 LM controller. So now we're off to Intel's website for a driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...roller-I225-LM

The oldest Linux driver available that supports chip set is v24.3 released on 2019-11-4: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...te-Driver-Pack

Buried inside that pack are:
    IXGBE v5.6.4
    IXGBEVF v4.6.2
    IAVF v3.7.61.20
    e1000e v3.5.1
    IGB v5.3.5.39

Now of those, IGB, and e1000e are for gigabit NICs.
    The two IXGBE and IXGBEVF modules are for fiber cards 10gbit+
    IAVF is a support module that I've never actually used before knowingly... so we'll set that aside.

So now we're off to Untangle, and we do this:
    Code:
    modinfo ixgbe | grep version
    And swapping out that module name for all the rest we find out that Untangle v16.2.2 has the following module versions straight from Debian:

ixgbe v5.1.0-k
    ixgbevf v4.1.0-k
    iavf isn't installed
    e1000e v3.2.6-k
    igb 5.4.0-k

Given that all of these numbers are LOWER than the original list, it's very likely that this chipset is NOT supported by Debian, and therefore Untangle.

Untangle is aslo based on Debian 10 Buster, which was released July 6th 2019. Intel's ARK pages for the I225-LM here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...r-i225-lm.html clearly indicate this chipset was launched Q4'19 well AFTER Debian 10's release.

Therefore given the above I'm left to assume this chipset will not function with Untangle until Untangle is based on Debian 11.

The Intel X550-T1 & T2 chipsets were released Q1'16, and is well known to be supported by all things Debian and therefore will work.

In general, if you go Intel and ensure the chipset release was before the release of Debian Untangle lives on, you'll know things will work. Yes, you can compile your own drivers and make things work, but this situation will result in a busted server every single time Untangle pushes a kernel update. It's NOT fun to support in production.

This information required approximately 30min to research. As such as a matter of billable time it's value at my market rates is ~$60. I do not generally post answers to these questions on these forums any longer for these reasons. I sell hardware that supports Untangle, the process of vetting hardware IS NOT TRIVIAL. Though isn't exactly difficult either. This specific post we'll call an Easter gift, I will comment no further on this topic. I'm not trying to be snide, I simply have four kids to feed. If you want hardware that's known to work, you're stuck purchasing hardware from Untangle themselves or one of their many partner companies like mine that sell appropriate hardware.

And no... 10gbit supporting appliances aren't cheap. But heck, I can't even sell appliances from my primary vendor right now thanks to COVID related stupidity that a year in remains unresolved so... Welcome to 2021 I guess!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-03-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    jim1985, oj88, skearton and 1 others like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thank you sky-knight. I really wasn't expecting anyone to spend that much time with my question, but again, I do appreciate that you did and answered my question.

I was hoping that a product like Untangle (I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'm going to use Untangle) would have a list of supported hardware that was kept up to date.

Again, thanks for your time.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sclawrenc View Post
    I was hoping that a product like Untangle (I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'm going to use Untangle) would have a list of supported hardware that was kept up to date.

Again, thanks for your time.
    I am sure dwebian has such a list somewhere.

It doesn't... not really.

I reference my production Untangle and a Debian VPS I keep current when I'm doing driver research. The "list" are the kernel modules that are available and what versions they are.

Intel makes things easy because all of their NICs fall into one of three drivers. And most of the current interfaces use IGB (copper gigabit) or ixgbe (everything faster than 1gbit). But the broadcoms and the rest all work through the same process. So what I documented here is exactly how I qualify hardware. It's only AFTER I go through this process for all primary system components do I order a prototype, and no units are even listed until after I've had a chance to poke at them for awhile too.

Because returns suck...
    sclawrenc likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I can't even sell appliances from my primary vendor right now thanks to COVID related stupidity that a year in remains unresolved so

Untanglit

It's only AFTER I go through this process for all primary system components do I order a prototype mouse guide