Untanglit

Default Crash Logs, why did it fail?

Hey folks,

I'm posting in HW forums, since it "could" be HW related, although I am not sure.

Last year *same hw* had a major fault with my HP DL420, 500 GB SATA, non RAID, 16 GB box. it failed, dramatically, I wasnt on site to fix it, so we bypassed it, it would not boot in any mode.

this year I rebuilt that sam box, its been stable on ver UT 16 for 6 months now, until today, sudden lock up. Physcial check all seemed fine, Keyboard working, num-lock light can toggle, disk activity - all ok, but ZERO network traffic.

I bounced it, didnt start first time, 2nd bounce ok, im in, everything back to normal.

So, here is my question - How can i check what caused this, without taking it out of service (no spare box available)

I would like to know what HW issue if any might be causing the issue, or whether it was simply overload?

Could it be anything else, DDoS?

most people will probably say HDD or RAM, of which I will replace in due course, but 6 months without a hitch seems pretty good?

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

You say the console was OK, but could you use it and log into the UI?

Because if you couldn't... that's a hard lock. And hard locks are almost always defective hardware. It can be RAM or HDD, but one is busted. And there's no way to sort that out while Untangle is running.

If the console wasn't lockedup, and you could get into the UI from it... then your eyes turn to the NICs. That could be a DOS from inside... could be all sorts of things.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

timfisher2000... what version of untangle you are using?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by balrog View Post
    timfisher2000... what version of untangle you are using?

Untanglit

could not login to console, or on LAN, on on CMD center, bricked

Cold rb was the only option

NIC lights were on
    Zero traffic
    Numlock and Caps lock toggle ok
    Mouse ok

Untanglit

then your eyes turn to the NICs. That could be a DOS from inside could be all sorts of things. voice generator

Quote Originally Posted by timfisher2000 View Post
    could not login to console, or on LAN, on on CMD center, bricked

Cold rb was the only option

NIC lights were on
    Zero traffic
    Numlock and Caps lock toggle ok
    Mouse ok
    If the mouse and the keyboard worked, what happened when you attempted to login via the physical console's browser?

*hint* "It didn't work" isn't good enough. We need details.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    If the mouse and the keyboard worked, what happened when you attempted to login via the physical console's browser?

*hint* "It didn't work" isn't good enough. We need details.
    Nothing happened, would not laod console, recovery, or anything. local KVM all worked.

I have since built a new box, and started fresh, adding any rulesets back in manually, I wanted a clean box, since the network scheme recently changed from 10.x to a 172.x addressing scheme, there were lots of dead host entries from old LAN.

New box is up and running, the only thing not working now is the company logo on the logon screens, minor issue, its fine on the Captive portal, but nowhere else. Yes its a licensed box with the BR component installed and running 16.22 of UT

Untangler

timfisher2000, as I suspected, could be 16.2x related. Due to lack of information, couldn't say, but have experienced hard locks and a few people in the past few weeks. Since you have support, can you kindly escalate to untangle (my license is home pro, so no technical support.). Thanks.