Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question DIY 10GbE router?

Hey all,

Currently I have Untangle running on Qotom-Q555G6-S05 with Intel Core i5 7200U CPU and I'm getting Gigabit (940Mbit) speed that I get from my ISP. Recently ISP had free upgrade to 1.2 Gigabits and from what I've seen online lot of people are actually getting 1.4 Gigabits. Modem has 2.5GbE ports.
    I'm thinking about building computer and getting one of Intel X5xx cards which by reading it should be supported by Untangle/Debian.
    Not sure which route to go DIY or buy something on eBay maybe Supermicro old server? I would like to keep it power efficient but understand it would not be possible and nothing can beat Qotom.
    Just looking for some ideas.

TIA!

Supermicro

Master Untangler

I'm running a jetway with a 7700k and 16gb of memory. Using a dual 10gbe intel card 5xx chipset, and am getting 1.2gbps and and down. One port is for the WAN and the other port goes to a 2.5gbe qnap 10 port switch for the 2.5gbe devices. The normal 1gbe stuff is attached to an aruba 1930 poe 24 port switch, and another aruba 1930 24 port switch. Works perfectly for me.

tjk
    Untangler

Good stuff! What model Jetway are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    I'm running a jetway with a 7700k and 16gb of memory. Using a dual 10gbe intel card 5xx chipset, and am getting 1.2gbps and and down. One port is for the WAN and the other port goes to a 2.5gbe qnap 10 port switch for the 2.5gbe devices. The normal 1gbe stuff is attached to an aruba 1930 poe 24 port switch, and another aruba 1930 24 port switch. Works perfectly for me.
    Thanks for the reply!

In my research I was thinking to get older HP ProDesk 400 G5 SFF I5-8500 3.0 GHZ - 8GB - 250GB SSD
    because it has power efficient CPU and 16x PCIE slot. Also thinking about Intel X540-T2 Dual Port RJ45 10GbE Adapter
    and since it was released in 2016 it should be fully supported by Debian 10. Is that the one you have?

What I'm still looking is the switch to connect it to. Is this QNAP QSW-M2108-2C Layer 2 Web Managed Switch with Two 10GbE SFP+/RJ45 Combo Ports and Eight 2.5GbE Ports one you have?

Also, I'm curious if you tested idle power usage with jetway and which specific model?

Master Untangler

CPU usage? 0.1% is typically normal. Yes that is the qnap switch I am using currently. Nice and cheap, and has a 10gbe connection between the switch and router. I don't want to run all of the traffic through that switch so I just use the gbe to the 1930 switches. That is the card I am using I believe. The jetway is the JBC153F592, and I have the intel card backwards mounted.

Got it. I was referring to power consumption/usage of that jetway. Without a kill-a-watt you probably can't tell.

Master Untangler

I figured you meant that initially, but then figured it was cpu usage for some reason. I have a 400w power supply in it. No clue what it’s running at. Personally I would like to play with an arm cpu at some point, but untangle would have to move towards that future at some point.

No worries. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    I figured you meant that initially, but then figured it was cpu usage for some reason. I have a 400w power supply in it. No clue what it’s running at. Personally I would like to play with an arm cpu at some point, but untangle would have to move towards that future at some point.
    The ARM product is in use, just for the SDWAN software, not NGFW.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Arm was used for some routers a while back. They didn't last long. Not sure why. Probably lack of resources to maintain more than one architecture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast