Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: z4 Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Must be shopping on Alibaba.
    And elsewhere... There's a subculture in China that exists to take joy and honor from stealing from Americans. Just as there is similar stuff here. I don't have anything against China, but I do demand consistency from my supply chain. The only way I know to get it is to work through trusted intermediaries. Every attempt to go direct has ended... poorly.

Same part number, VASTLY different received quality. This is the crap I get from Qutom and Protectli, and why I despise both.

If I wanted that crap I'd be selling Acer laptops / desktops to everyone... but I don't. I use business grade equipment only. Why? It avoids all of the above. Downtime is EXPENSIVE! Vastly more so when going cheap takes out your router, and now the entire office cannot work!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-23-2021 at 01:10 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I would have to say... two (2) Protectli appliances in a row... install like champs and run like a dream for small networks. I like them and you certainly can not beat the size of the device and the investment. It even comes with a VESA mounting plate to mount behind a monitor. I normally build machines for Untangle, but the Protectli are a good option (imo).

tjk
    Untangler

Trying to get my hands on https://shop.opnsense.com/dec800-ser...ity-appliance/ be nice to try Untangle on something like that.

Or, if Protectli would come out with a 10g unit.

Quote Originally Posted by tjk View Post
    Trying to get my hands on https://shop.opnsense.com/dec800-ser...ity-appliance/ be nice to try Untangle on something like that.

Or, if Protectli would come out with a 10g unit.
    This is what I'm looking at for my next wave of appliances as well. Sadly... availability is... well crap. This was the next step in appliance tech before the silicon shortage and the pandemic ground everything to a halt.
    tjk likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

According to their website... "Everything is back in stock!"
    tjk likes this.

tjk
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by theautomationstation View Post
    According to their website... "Everything is back in stock!"
    Awesome, just ordered 2x DEC850 units.

Untangler

This is a really helpful thread. I understand those of you who violently avoid cheap products as downtime is unacceptable in today's world where internet is close to oxygen in terms of need. I'd be interested if any of you have experienced any of the following:

1) Hardware failure with Protectli/other economic devices? I'm now running NGFW on 12 Protectli devices, and the only failure in the last 2+ years (my total experience with NGFW) was a mSATA drive that went bad (Kingston)- so not a Protectli failure.

2) CPU and/or memory bottlenecks. With the arrival of fiber optic to our area, none of my previously installed router devices (USG 4 Pro's) could handle the throughput and reduced ping that we get now with fiber connections. From what I can tell from observing traffic on various devices, 400Mb+ WAN connections need lots of processor power and memory. This is the reason I choose to install NGFW on Protectli appliances for my installs (home licenses and 1 hotel). So far, I think these devices are handling traffic really well, and I expect them to be adequate when the ISP inevitably increases speeds in the future.

Thanks again for the thread.

Untangler

I have about 15 Protectli devices in the field, About ten went to small offices and 5 to home users. As you experienced the SSD failure I have also. It was about two years ago and it was due to a Chinese knockoff that was ordered by the end user from Alibaba. The silicon shortage has made many folks hold on to old hardware longer and I still think the Protecli boxes are very well engineered for endurance as long as you have good supporting storage and reliable power supply. I have yet to sink the performance capabilities of the boxes that I deployed but I am sure someone will get an upgrade that will burry the CPU by a simple bandwidth upgrade.

Sooooo... were you able to successfully install and run Untangle on one of these... DEC850 ?
    Last edited by theautomationstation; 08-30-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: clarification
    Armshouse likes this.

tjk
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by theautomationstation View Post
    Sooooo... were you able to successfully install and run Untangle on one of these... DEC850 ?
    No luck yet, I need to figure out a way to do an install that will work over serial console, pfsense and opnsense have installers that do serial console, can't find one for untangle.

The 10G interfaces are also AMD and not Intel, so not sure if UT will support them or not.

These units are ok so far, they run a little warm and when I push traffic with a default pass all rule, the CPU can struggle a bit. 10G iperf traffic pegs the cores to like 30-40% utilization.

Also, not sure what they were thinking, but for such a cool design - they didn't put any status lights on the 10G ports, zip, zilch, nada. You can't tell if you have link, traffic, etc, unless you fo through the webgui. The 1G ports have traditional status lights, just not the 10G ports.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast