Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Question Looking for LTE appliance options for NG Firewall

I have used NG Firewall for a decade or more for straight ethernet routing. I suddenly have clients looking for LTE coverage and I have deployed an SD-WAN appliance for them, but what I really want is LTE functionality on NG Firewall and the Untangle appliances do not seem to support this.

I have deployed many custom NG Firewall hardware builds, is there a tried and true barebones kit that the community might recommend that supports LTE?

-haahof

NGFW does not support LTE at this time. Most just use a separate hotspot connected to the NGFW appliance.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Protectli IDG400, Mikrotik has a similar device available which is vastly improved but the part number escapes me at the moment.

What you're looking for is a self contained cellular to Ethernet bridge device. You will never get an integrated cellular link to work with Untangle or just about anything else I'm afraid. You need something dedicated to that process.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Protectli IDG400, Mikrotik has a similar device available which is vastly improved but the part number escapes me at the moment.
    I have a number installs like this, all are done based on Mikrotik SXT or LHG LTE devices.

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/lte-5g-products

We've used these a number of times. You can log in and disable NAT so they'll pass the public IP.
    https://protectli.com/lte/
    Resident "Geek on a Harley" in Southeast Connecticut, USA.

Untangler

Any recommendation for a cellular hotspot w/ NIC that can act as a router/WIFI hotspot for a field technician, but the event of an office losing it's WAN connection, can be converted as a modem via bridge to untangle?

Untangler

Peplink Max Transit 5G. Im running one now for a month, take it with me wherever I go and in Philly I get over 500Mbps DL / 125Mbps Up. I have another at our shop I use as as WAN2 Failover on Untangle. I use the Peplink Max Transit 5G specifically because it has IP Passthrough feature. I have a T-Mobile 5G $50/month 100GB SIM with $5 Static IP. Works great on WAN2 in Untangle with Static WAN IP.

I tested a Inseego FG2000 5G device and it worked great but does not support Static IP or IP Passthrough currently. Their engineers tell me it will in the next 6 weeks but time will tell. So far, VERY happy with the Max Transit 5G. Ive been installing them at clients as a WAN2 failover the past few weeks as a backup to their VerizonFIOS Business FIber and Comcast Business ISP lines..

Untangler

Thanks Doc!
    defcomllc likes this.

Untangler

Picked up a Peplink, working great!
    However, I do need another one that can accomplish the following:

Work on Verizon's LTE network
    Act is a wifi hotspot (battery operated)
    multiple LAN ports
    Ability to change hotspot to bridged mode (modem only) to connect to an untangle as a failover from time to time.

I ran across the Mikrotik Chateau 5g, but it doesn't look like it's been released yet.

Does anyone know of a device that matches the criteria listed above?

Thanks!

Certain Cradlepoint models have that ability...but you're duplicating hardware, why not keep Untangle behind it and have Untangle do WiFi and LAN.
    Resident "Geek on a Harley" in Southeast Connecticut, USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast