Default USB C to Ethernet adapters? Will they work?

Please don't tell me not to use them. The performance is far better with USB C or even USB 3.0 than past adapters now. I get about 220 Mbps down with my service. I don't need super speed, just reliability. I want to replace my aging PC with a SFF unit that uses less power and it doesn't have dual ethernet. It does have USB 3 and USB C.

Will one from say Monoprice be recognized as an adapter?

They'll work with Untangle if they work out-of-the-box (no driver install) with the kernel included the version of Debian on which Untangle is based.

Right now, the number of usb NICs meeting this rule is fairly small, but it should grow over time.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

If it works with debian 10 it should work. Only one way to find out for sure. Try it.

I know USB C has the bandwidth to do this now... but I still get the gibblies whenever I think about a USB NIC. They've been so bad for so long...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

You can pickup a dual low profile Intel NIC on amazon for under $50

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by maddmannmatt View Post
    Please don't tell me not to use them. The performance is far better with USB C or even USB 3.0 than past adapters now. I get about 220 Mbps down with my service. I don't need super speed, just reliability. I want to replace my aging PC with a SFF unit that uses less power and it doesn't have dual ethernet. It does have USB 3 and USB C.

Will one from say Monoprice be recognized as an adapter?
    Been there, done that, Got the t-shirt. usb-c is just a different physical connector but still based on
    USB chipset family. They much vary widely in quality that it may work with you but not for others. One good example that i would like to repeat from experience is that i have a usb nic with the ethernet realtek chipset r8169 and replaced it with an expresscard ethernet funny enough, with the same exact chipset and my network drops went to zero. USB is the only difference.

Sorry, don't use them especially if you want reliability.

Would like to chime in what others have said. if you select your SFF properly, you can get an expansion slot to install a nic. One example is the business line dell optiplex series. off-lease ones are dirt cheap.
    Last edited by balrog; 09-21-2021 at 05:37 PM.

There are USB type C ports that can sustain 10gbit adapters now. But yeah... I've had so many fits with them for so long it'll be a LONG TIME before I recommend them. All of the interfaces on the shelf right now consume entirely too much CPU to be used in the applications people want them for.
    NexgenAppliances.com

This is a single NIC but it does come with the SFF bracket... works like a champ with Untangle:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...cie-x1-adapter

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There are USB type C ports that can sustain 10gbit adapters now.
    AFAICT, these are all Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is PCIe, not USB, so these could actually work just as well as any other PCIe adapter (with some of the Thunderbolt weirdness added on top).

It looks like Apple has a "Thunderbolt to Ethernet" adapter. Not sure if it's really Thunderbolt or just USB.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    AFAICT, these are all Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is PCIe, not USB, so these could actually work just as well as any other PCIe adapter (with some of the Thunderbolt weirdness added on top).

It looks like Apple has a "Thunderbolt to Ethernet" adapter. Not sure if it's really Thunderbolt or just USB.
    USB 3.2 Gen 2 can do 10gbit.

But this is REALLY NEW stuff... not Debian ready yet.
    NexgenAppliances.com