Default Partners - How are you handling stock/ replacement appliances?

I am wondering how people who are providing Untangle as a service are handling replacing failed devices. We have only ever had one Z4 fail on us - but we don't have a ton of appliances out in the world at the moment, and admittedly there are a few which are whiteboxes (Dell R610s).

I'd like to replace everything with Z6 and Z4 devices on HaaS, but that means I can't stock a cold spare of each in the event a customer needs one. I had a situation today where one of the white boxes died - RAID controller is bad. I ordered a Z6 as a replacement, but would have preferred to go with a Z6 as HaaS from Untangle which would have a perpetual warranty/ replacement if something happened again.

The caveat here, is even if I purchase a Z6 and put it on my shelf - the warrant as a finite date per sales, and I can't swap the subscription for the HaaS device if it failed to the one I have purchased as a cold spare.

Previously, I always kept a WatchGuard or Fortinet appliance sitting on a shelf just in case, It's been awhile for WatchGuard (XTM33 days?) so I'm not familiar, but I would have had most recently a Fortinet 60E and 100E on a shelf and just transferred the license and warrantied the device at my convince after I restored service for the customer. I had a 60E from long ago sitting, so that's what is currently in my customer's office. But if I had a Z6 HaaS, I wouldn't receive equipment until Friday best case because it was already late in the day.

How are you guys handling this?

For NG Firewall we sell and install our own whitebox SuperMicro 1U appliances.. Intel SSD, ECC memory, Intel NICS...They just keep on running without issue. We always have 4 or 5 on the shelf at all times for new customers or existing clients. We do use e6 appliances for SD-WAN.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Untangler

I agree with defcomllc, we build our own and I always have at least 5 replacement units in stock for every 50 clients. That way if a unit goes down I am not waiting on a warranty repair for replacement, I can just restore a backup and swap out a unit.
    defcomllc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinComputers View Post
    I agree with defcomllc, we build our own and I always have at least 5 replacement units in stock for every 50 clients. That way if a unit goes down I am not waiting on a warranty repair for replacement, I can just restore a backup and swap out a unit.
    Thank you guys for the feedback. We have a couple that we have built - but honestly It's not worth the slight cost savings (to me) unless we are looking at needing something comparable to the Z14 or Z20 Untangle appliance. I'm trying to get to a point where we have vendor support for EVEYRTHING. I wouldn't mind rolling out a standard appliance if I could put together some hardware and keep a few on the shelf, reasonably, but right now acquiring hardware is a bit challenging.

There is a big plus side as well for the couple of offices that only need a Z4 - 10-15 users- the unlimited license that can be paired with it.
    Use case: Coaxial internet connection, no VPN or a single site to site VPN, Z4 being a remote site, maybe 25ish devices that are managed, then throwing out VLANs for internal wifi networks along with guest or staff. I have an office currently with a Z4 that has 12 workstations and one MFP printer, an a single server at a remote site, yet they have over 70 devices that are using seats at any given time because I'm not making bypass rules for guest networks, but instead they have their own policy rack.

Untangler

You could always have a few Protectli boxes in house for loaner use if one of the Z's go down. I know some on these forums don't care for the "China" made boxes but they do work and Protectli has been a reliable company. All the firewalls we install have minimum 4 gigs ram, 2 gigs just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

Quotom (zSeries) and Protectli are both Chinese imported junk. You can get both off Alibaba on the cheap if you want.

They're functionally equivalent, and from a price perspective the only viable options. If you want non-China stuff, even Taiwan stuff you're paying double or more to get started.

With the silicon fab price hikes, and SBC costs going through the roof all of this stuff is going to not only get harder to get, but more expensive with time. So if you have the budget, I'd suggest stocking up now.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Quotom (zSeries) and Protectli are both Chinese imported junk. You can get both off Alibaba on the cheap if you want.

They're functionally equivalent, and from a price perspective the only viable options. If you want non-China stuff, even Taiwan stuff you're paying double or more to get started.

With the silicon fab price hikes, and SBC costs going through the roof all of this stuff is going to not only get harder to get, but more expensive with time. So if you have the budget, I'd suggest stocking up now.
    Id rather buy Supermicro or something similar than a Quotom (zSeries) and Protectli, you never know what is calling home or doing stuff you don't know about. I trust Supermicro 100% Infact, i just built another one for home using the Supermicro MBD-A1SRI-2758F-O and about to click buy now for a Home-Pro License.

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Id rather buy Supermicro or something similar than a Quotom (zSeries) and Protectli, you never know what is calling home or doing stuff you don't know about. I trust Supermicro 100% Infact, i just built another one for home using the Supermicro MBD-A1SRI-2758F-O and about to click buy now for a Home-Pro License.
    Sir... you're nuts: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-supermicro/

SuperMicro was the first firm discovered in the long chain of this mess... they've been off the table the longest!
    donhwyo likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Sir... you're nuts: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-supermicro/

SuperMicro was the first firm discovered in the long chain of this mess... they've been off the table the longest!
    DAMN really !! That's nuts ! I still love my SM unit though so.. in this world its hard to trust anyone. Apple Lenovo Hp Dell etc etc etc the list goes on..