Untanglit

Default USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter

Does the NG Firewall software support USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapters? If so is there a hardware matrix for this? Yes, most will say don't use these but I have seen it done and it works well and gives us gig speeds for these mini compact pcs that do not have dual NICs or pci slots for expansion.

This has been asked before... many times.

It's been answered... many times.

So here I'll go answering it again, there is no official support for any USB interface, and there never will be. Why? Because they all... universally SUCK.

They simply will not handle the workload in this context.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Because they all... universally SUCK.
    Historically, this is true. And even when they miraculously don't the underlying usb3 bus hasn't provided either the stability or sustained throughput expected.

This is starting to change, but it's still a case of winning the lottery. It's not a case of Untangle supporting it or not; it's a magical combination of quality adapter hardware plus quality Debian driver available for the adapter plus quality usb3 build on the motherboard plus quality usb3 bus driver on Debian. Untangle at best can influence one of those things (the usb3 bus driver in Debian).

If all of those things align you can do very well. Just don't ask me about the which actual devices meet those rules. It's still far too much of a crapshoot.

I give it another 18 months to 2 years and we might start to be able to give a better answer, which will include an eventual Untangle update to Debian 11 or a hypothetical future Debian 12 release to help with drivers, along with a few brave souls willing to try it in environments that not only have gigabit available but can provide the kind of traffic loads to stress the connections over sustained periods and report back results when they have adapters that work.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 12-29-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

You "could" install Untangle V16 with one nic, and use vlans for the Wan & Lan. I just did it and its working. I mean it's not ideal and the best solution is dual Intel Nics BUT for giggles, i just got it working with 1 nic.
    Flint Ironstag likes this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    You "could" install Untangle V16 with one nic, and use vlans for the Wan & Lan. I just did it and its working. I mean it's not ideal and the best solution is dual Intel Nics BUT for giggles, i just got it working with 1 nic.
    Works OK if your Internet connection is 400mbit or below.
    Flint Ironstag likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Works OK if your Internet connection is 400mbit or below.
    Have it working on 1gig fibre, using a 10g sfp single port nic
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Have it working on 1gig fibre, using a 10g sfp single port nic
    HA That works too!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

HA That works too!
    Yes, i never said it was the best BUT it does work he he !

Yes, i never said it was the best BUT it does work he he !
    There's nothing wrong with that configuration, and given the cost of 10gbit interfacing might just become a viable alternative going forward.

That configuration does require VLAN capable switching and some brainpower though. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

There's nothing wrong with that configuration, and given the cost of 10gbit interfacing might just become a viable alternative going forward.

That configuration does require VLAN capable switching and some brainpower though. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    I'll take that as a complement I have all Aruba stuff, The 1930-24-poe / non poe switches all have 4 x 10gig SFP+ ports & Lifetime warranty