Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Protectli - VP2410 – 4 Port Intel ® Celeron J4125

Good Afternoon,

Has anyone on here worked with the small fanless devices, specifically the Protectli VP2410 – 4 Port Intel ® Celeron J4125?

I am considering this option due to Untangle not having a replacement for their wireless appliance. When I called they couldnt give me any sort of timeframe hence the reason for this post.

Specs:
    Intel Celeron® J4125 Quad Core at 2 GHz (Burst up to 2.7 GHz)
    4 Intel® Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports
    M.2 SATA SSD Slot (Note: This device does not support NVMe drives)
    8GB eMMC module on board
    Intel® AES-NI support
    Fanless and Silent

I will bump up the ram to 8GB and the onboard storage to 240GB M.2 SSD (good enough for my retention policies)

I will also be adding the wireless card - 802.11ac,/a/b/g/n M.2 WiFi Module. Its compatable with other OS's however I do not see Untangle listed.

This will be used at my mothers place to perform basic routing. It will also have a tunnel back to my location to pass camera feeds to my Unifi NVR. So really, nothing special but dont want to put in seperate wifi units when a single device should suffice. (cameras are wifi only as well as all connected devices)

So, has anyone uesed this device, can provide a little review? if it wont work, recommend a compatible device?

If Untangle reads this, maybe provide an update on when the new wireless appliance will be released

Thanks everyone,

-MW

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Good Afternoon,

Has anyone on here worked with the small fanless devices, specifically the Protectli VP2410 – 4 Port Intel ® Celeron J4125?

I am considering this option due to Untangle not having a replacement for their wireless appliance. When I called they couldnt give me any sort of timeframe hence the reason for this post.

Specs:
    Intel Celeron® J4125 Quad Core at 2 GHz (Burst up to 2.7 GHz)
    4 Intel® Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports
    M.2 SATA SSD Slot (Note: This device does not support NVMe drives)
    8GB eMMC module on board
    Intel® AES-NI support
    Fanless and Silent

I will bump up the ram to 8GB and the onboard storage to 240GB M.2 SSD (good enough for my retention policies)

I will also be adding the wireless card - 802.11ac,/a/b/g/n M.2 WiFi Module. Its compatable with other OS's however I do not see Untangle listed.

This will be used at my mothers place to perform basic routing. It will also have a tunnel back to my location to pass camera feeds to my Unifi NVR. So really, nothing special but dont want to put in seperate wifi units when a single device should suffice. (cameras are wifi only as well as all connected devices)

So, has anyone uesed this device, can provide a little review? if it wont work, recommend a compatible device?

If Untangle reads this, maybe provide an update on when the new wireless appliance will be released

Thanks everyone,

-MW
    Why do you want a wireless interface in the box ? you really are better off buying the device and using an external AP.
    jcoffin and Kyawa like this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Why do you want a wireless interface in the box ? you really are better off buying the device and using an external AP.
    I agree. I have a u25w and disabled the wifi.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Untangler

Having the wireless function is to keep it simple. I need to add a few wireless cameras along with a tv, tablet, etc. I would prefer not to have to deal with adding separate access points and cable if at all possible. Add to the fact that I am 3 hours away and have no one to assist if things go south.

But, I do agree with separation however in this case I would prefer an all in one solution. I do love Untangle and hope someone can recommend a product however, if not I may just opt for a Fortinet 60e (already have - no current subscription though) which has wireless already.

Having the wireless function is to keep it simple. I need to add a few wireless cameras along with a tv, tablet, etc. I would prefer not to have to deal with adding separate access points and cable if at all possible. Add to the fact that I am 3 hours away and have no one to assist if things go south.

But, I do agree with separation however in this case I would prefer an all in one solution. I do love Untangle and hope someone can recommend a product however, if not I may just opt for a Fortinet 60e (already have - no current subscription though) which has wireless already.
    I have this exact box, 16gb of RAM, 240gb drive. It's pretty much extreme overkill. The processor never really gets over 1%, even pushing a full 1GB of data through it.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Master Untangler

You could buy a 50$ Wireless AP to sit ontop of the New Untangle Protectli - VP2410 box. Grab a "non" cloud Ap, set and forget. TRUST US when we all say this is the best solution. IMO youll get better performance and better wifi coverage because a dedicated AP will have way more transmit power then a built in card.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    You could buy a 50$ Wireless AP to sit ontop of the New Untangle Protectli - VP2410 box. Grab a "non" cloud Ap, set and forget. TRUST US when we all say this is the best solution. IMO youll get better performance and better wifi coverage because a dedicated AP will have way more transmit power then a built in card.
    I have been wanting to try some of the Aruba Instant-On stuff, may look into that as an option.

-MW

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by bcole8888 View Post
    I have this exact box, 16gb of RAM, 240gb drive. It's pretty much extreme overkill. The processor never really gets over 1%, even pushing a full 1GB of data through it.

Did you opt for the wireless option or running without?

Master Untangler

I have been wanting to try some of the Aruba Instant-On stuff, may look into that as an option.

-MW
    That's what i run Ap22 installed this weekend and stupid fast internet & local connection now !

Did you opt for the wireless option or running without?
    Without. I have separate AP's.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast