Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    69

    Default Protectli - VP2410 – 4 Port Intel ® Celeron J4125

    Good Afternoon,

    Has anyone on here worked with the small fanless devices, specifically the Protectli VP2410 – 4 Port Intel ® Celeron J4125?

    I am considering this option due to Untangle not having a replacement for their wireless appliance. When I called they couldnt give me any sort of timeframe hence the reason for this post.

    Specs:
    Intel Celeron® J4125 Quad Core at 2 GHz (Burst up to 2.7 GHz)
    4 Intel® Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports
    M.2 SATA SSD Slot (Note: This device does not support NVMe drives)
    8GB eMMC module on board
    Intel® AES-NI support
    Fanless and Silent

    I will bump up the ram to 8GB and the onboard storage to 240GB M.2 SSD (good enough for my retention policies)

    I will also be adding the wireless card - 802.11ac,/a/b/g/n M.2 WiFi Module. Its compatable with other OS's however I do not see Untangle listed.

    This will be used at my mothers place to perform basic routing. It will also have a tunnel back to my location to pass camera feeds to my Unifi NVR. So really, nothing special but dont want to put in seperate wifi units when a single device should suffice. (cameras are wifi only as well as all connected devices)

    So, has anyone uesed this device, can provide a little review? if it wont work, recommend a compatible device?

    If Untangle reads this, maybe provide an update on when the new wireless appliance will be released

    Thanks everyone,

    -MW

  2. #2
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Good Afternoon,

    Has anyone on here worked with the small fanless devices, specifically the Protectli VP2410 – 4 Port Intel ® Celeron J4125?

    I am considering this option due to Untangle not having a replacement for their wireless appliance. When I called they couldnt give me any sort of timeframe hence the reason for this post.

    Specs:
    Intel Celeron® J4125 Quad Core at 2 GHz (Burst up to 2.7 GHz)
    4 Intel® Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports
    M.2 SATA SSD Slot (Note: This device does not support NVMe drives)
    8GB eMMC module on board
    Intel® AES-NI support
    Fanless and Silent

    I will bump up the ram to 8GB and the onboard storage to 240GB M.2 SSD (good enough for my retention policies)

    I will also be adding the wireless card - 802.11ac,/a/b/g/n M.2 WiFi Module. Its compatable with other OS's however I do not see Untangle listed.

    This will be used at my mothers place to perform basic routing. It will also have a tunnel back to my location to pass camera feeds to my Unifi NVR. So really, nothing special but dont want to put in seperate wifi units when a single device should suffice. (cameras are wifi only as well as all connected devices)

    So, has anyone uesed this device, can provide a little review? if it wont work, recommend a compatible device?

    If Untangle reads this, maybe provide an update on when the new wireless appliance will be released

    Thanks everyone,

    -MW
    Why do you want a wireless interface in the box ? you really are better off buying the device and using an external AP.
    jcoffin and Kyawa like this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  3. #3
    Master Untangler Kyawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Why do you want a wireless interface in the box ? you really are better off buying the device and using an external AP.
    I agree. I have a u25w and disabled the wifi.
    dashpuppy likes this.

  4. #4
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Having the wireless function is to keep it simple. I need to add a few wireless cameras along with a tv, tablet, etc. I would prefer not to have to deal with adding separate access points and cable if at all possible. Add to the fact that I am 3 hours away and have no one to assist if things go south.

    But, I do agree with separation however in this case I would prefer an all in one solution. I do love Untangle and hope someone can recommend a product however, if not I may just opt for a Fortinet 60e (already have - no current subscription though) which has wireless already.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Having the wireless function is to keep it simple. I need to add a few wireless cameras along with a tv, tablet, etc. I would prefer not to have to deal with adding separate access points and cable if at all possible. Add to the fact that I am 3 hours away and have no one to assist if things go south.

    But, I do agree with separation however in this case I would prefer an all in one solution. I do love Untangle and hope someone can recommend a product however, if not I may just opt for a Fortinet 60e (already have - no current subscription though) which has wireless already.
    I have this exact box, 16gb of RAM, 240gb drive. It's pretty much extreme overkill. The processor never really gets over 1%, even pushing a full 1GB of data through it.
    dashpuppy likes this.

  6. #6
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Having the wireless function is to keep it simple. I need to add a few wireless cameras along with a tv, tablet, etc. I would prefer not to have to deal with adding separate access points and cable if at all possible. Add to the fact that I am 3 hours away and have no one to assist if things go south.

    But, I do agree with separation however in this case I would prefer an all in one solution. I do love Untangle and hope someone can recommend a product however, if not I may just opt for a Fortinet 60e (already have - no current subscription though) which has wireless already.
    You could buy a 50$ Wireless AP to sit ontop of the New Untangle Protectli - VP2410 box. Grab a "non" cloud Ap, set and forget. TRUST US when we all say this is the best solution. IMO youll get better performance and better wifi coverage because a dedicated AP will have way more transmit power then a built in card.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  7. #7
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    You could buy a 50$ Wireless AP to sit ontop of the New Untangle Protectli - VP2410 box. Grab a "non" cloud Ap, set and forget. TRUST US when we all say this is the best solution. IMO youll get better performance and better wifi coverage because a dedicated AP will have way more transmit power then a built in card.
    I have been wanting to try some of the Aruba Instant-On stuff, may look into that as an option.

    -MW

  8. #8
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcole8888 View Post
    I have this exact box, 16gb of RAM, 240gb drive. It's pretty much extreme overkill. The processor never really gets over 1%, even pushing a full 1GB of data through it.

    Did you opt for the wireless option or running without?

  9. #9
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    I have been wanting to try some of the Aruba Instant-On stuff, may look into that as an option.

    -MW
    That's what i run Ap22 installed this weekend and stupid fast internet & local connection now !
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Did you opt for the wireless option or running without?
    Without. I have separate AP's.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2