Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When is the non-wifi equivalent model coming out?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    I can post better pictures if you want. I wonder if there is a better card that could be used to make things "work"
    There may be better cards out there however, if the Untangle software doesn't support multiple SSID's it won't matter.

Maybe one of the employees will chime in?

-MW
    dashpuppy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    When is the non-wifi equivalent model coming out?
    The Z4 plus is more than equivalent.
    Kyawa likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    The Z4 plus is more than equivalent.

^^^ This ! and it's very powerful & small. I really underestimated it when i first set one up & reviewed. I have about 10 out there now and they are all working great !
    Kyawa likes this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

How hot does the z4 run?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    How hot does the z4 run?
    I ran it for 2 weeks here at home pushing my home 160+ devices though it, it was luke warm. I also have many of them out in the field and they all run flawless ! Very small but Powerful box. very under-estimated.

I think people think that they all need like xeon's or i5 to i7's for their firewall. When ya don't
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

They do, if they're doing multi-gigabit filtration and demand perfect streaming all the time.

But yeah, with a good appliance you can operate at near gigabit volume on the right Atom now... or whatever the heck Intel calls it this week.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    They do, if they're doing multi-gigabit filtration and demand perfect streaming all the time.

But yeah, with a good appliance you can operate at near gigabit volume on the right Atom now... or whatever the heck Intel calls it this week.
    The w8 pulls 1gig in & out with out any issues. Also I will be doing some iperf tests over 10g soon..

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    The w8 pulls 1gig in & out with out any issues. Also I will be doing some iperf tests over 10g soon..
    iperf is useless, it doesn't engage the UVM. To properly benchmark NGFW you have to generate many HTTPs sessions to a hundred https servers all at once... and all of those servers have to be real ones so the UVM filters, reputation checks are made, etc.

All iperf will tell you is how fast the kernel can shovel packets, which is useful because it's the theoretical max throughput of the device. But it's not terribly useful in terms of gauging real world performance.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-13-2022 at 10:11 AM.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    iperf is useless, it doesn't engage the UVM. To properly benchmark NGFW you have to generate many HTTPs sessions to a hundred https servers all at once... and all of those servers have to be real ones so the UVM filters, reputation checks are made, etc.

All iperf will tell you is how fast the kernel can shovel packets, which is useful because it's the theoretical max throughput of the device. But it's not terribly useful in terms of gauging real world performance.
    Second post of yours now that I agree 100% on

It is still nice to see / know that your UTM L7 router is pushing max performance too !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12