Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default W4 - Wireless Guest SSID Question

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Does anyone know how to add a second wireless SSID to the W4 device (or others if applicable ~Protectli, etc.)? For the life of me I see no way to add another SSID other than the primary.

I can create the first one - Wireless1 @ 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz
    But can't create a second one - Wireless1-Guest

In addition, there is now way to combine the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels on the same SSID.

I would have expected this device to provide these same type function as an less expensive option form the like of --InsertBigBoxStoreHere-- (Vendors like Belkin, ASUS, TPLink, etc.), sadly I don't see the options. Not that they aren't there rather I just don't see them.

Any help is appreciated.

-MW

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Does anyone know how to add a second wireless SSID to the W4 device (or others if applicable ~Protectli, etc.)? For the life of me I see no way to add another SSID other than the primary.

I can create the first one - Wireless1 @ 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz
    But can't create a second one - Wireless1-Guest

In addition, there is now way to combine the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels on the same SSID.

I would have expected this device to provide these same type function as an less expensive option form the like of --InsertBigBoxStoreHere-- (Vendors like Belkin, ASUS, TPLink, etc.), sadly I don't see the options. Not that they aren't there rather I just don't see them.

Any help is appreciated.

-MW
    You can't its not a feature that's available yet. Soon i hope..
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untangler

I suspected the same. I guess I will just direct with a rule any MAC/Hostname/etc. that's not already defined to use Captive Portal for now. Would be cleaner and more secure with a dedicated VLAN to compartmentalize the traffic.

Maybe in v17.

-MW

This is more a hardware issue than software. The chipset has to support multiple SSIDs. Current WiFi chipset does not support multiple SSIDs.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    This is more a hardware issue than software. The chipset has to support multiple SSIDs. Current WiFi chipset does not support multiple SSIDs.
    Interesting point. Others competing products that cost around / a tad bit more than the W4 allow for this functionality. And others competing products that incorporate this functionality cost less than the W8.(E.g. Fortinet / Fortigate, Sophos, Sonicwall, etc.)

What is a supported chip that I could possibly swap the existing one out with that will allow for 2 (or more) SSID's?

Please don't misunderstand this post. I am a huge Untangle proponent and will continue on and work around these small product short comings. I am simply trying to understand if there is an alternative chip I can buy or if you so desire, put baby back in the corner

-MW
    Last edited by mfwade; 05-10-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Master Untangler

Interesting point. Others competing products that cost around / a tad bit more than the W4 allow for this functionality. And others competing products that incorporate this functionality cost less than the W8.(E.g. Fortinet / Fortigate, Sophos, Sonicwall, etc.)

What is a supported chip that I could possibly swap the existing one out with that will allow for 2 (or more) SSID's?

Please don't misunderstand this post. I am a huge Untangle proponent and will continue on and work around these small product short comings. I am simply trying to understand if there is an alternative chip I can buy or if you so desire, put baby back in the corner

-MW
    There is a reason why I don't buy units with WiFi build in. IMO the best solution is hardware for firewall then Dedicated AP's. Pick your brand here "Aruba" he he !
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    There is a reason why I don't buy units with WiFi build in. IMO the best solution is hardware for firewall then Dedicated AP's. Pick your brand here "Aruba" he he !
    It's all good. The W4 units were purchased for family and I didn't want to go through setting up additional components. After all, I have to support them.

Aruba, Ubiquity, etc. are good choices
    dashpuppy likes this.

-MW
    Such are the limitations of working with open hardware solutions instead of proprietary garbage.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

FYI this might be a good choice for a wifi card. See pictures in the second post.

https://forums.untangle.com/ng-firew...ideo-pics.html

Probably still have to wait for 17.0 or greater? I see Untangle (or Arista) will be at RSA 2022 June 6. I bet 17.0 will drop by then. LOL If they can get the color changes in time.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    FYI this might be a good choice for a wifi card. See pictures in the second post.

https://forums.untangle.com/ng-firew...ideo-pics.html

Probably still have to wait for 17.0 or greater? I see Untangle (or Arista) will be at RSA 2022 June 6. I bet 17.0 will drop by then. LOL If they can get the color changes in time.
    I can post better pictures if you want. I wonder if there is a better card that could be used to make things "work"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast