Untanglit

Question Hardware Recommendation

Hardware Recommendation

Hi all, I need a hardware recommendation, for my untangle box, its currently running on a 10 year old desktop pc with a AMD A4-6250J APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics, 4gb ram, ssd and an additional pci nic its done me well but recently I have it stop responding, forcing manual reboots not all that often, but often enough to notice.

Was hoping to have something small form factor that didn’t eat as much power, im running a few apps which I guess will make a difference, also I currently use a cloud based email antispam system but since im trying to lower my costs I want untangle to take the load instead via “antispam” app. I guess this will mean more requirements performance wise.

-No Wireless Requirment im using external unifi products.
    -VLANs - not in use atm, but possbly in future.
    Supporting: 250 Devices
    WAN: 500 / 50 (Looking to upgrade to Gigabit Package Later in the year which will be 1000 / 150)
    Running Apps; Web Filter, Virus Blocker, Spam Blocker(SOON), Web Cache, Application Control, Firewall, AdBlocker, Reports, Tunnel VPN, Intrusion Prevention
    Additional workload of mail scanning will be around 500 emails per day.

Any recommendations or supported devices don’t want to have to worry about buying something and then it not installing.

All the best
    Cap
    Last edited by cappilio; 05-16-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Master Untangler

Qotom or Protectli are both passive cooled. Search for i3 or i5 with 8Gb of RAM. Those boxes usualy have 2-4-6 Intel NICs. Bear in mind this is China made, if you want something non-China it will cost you much more.
    cappilio likes this.

Master Untangler

If this was me, id go to ebay.com search Datto I3, lots of these little blue Datto boxes. VERY quiet & powerful. 2 nic's BOTH intel based. I was given about 4 of them free. I kept one and handed them out to clients 3 years ago. TO this day they are still my favorite boxes that run Untangle on a small efficient quiet box.

Link for pre-made search for you : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...to+i3&_sacat=0
    soldier and cappilio like this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untanglit

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will look between these three models and see what I can get my hands on.

I don't mind China made stuff, it's hit and miss for sure but anything will be an improvement on what I have at the moment.

Appreciated, all the best cap

Untanglit

So couldnt find any Datto i3's in the UK, found various other mini pc's but wasnt 100% on any of them so i have ended up buying one from chicago as its the only place that i could find had one up for sale waiting for delivery over the coming days will get untangle installed and config restored and hopefully all performs well, thanks again

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cappilio View Post
    So couldnt find any Datto i3's in the UK, found various other mini pc's but wasnt 100% on any of them so i have ended up buying one from chicago as its the only place that i could find had one up for sale waiting for delivery over the coming days will get untangle installed and config restored and hopefully all performs well, thanks again
    Let us know if you need any help :P
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untanglit

It arrived yesterday, switch over was as smooth as expected.
    Seems to be running perfectly almost 24 hours not a single hiccup.

Slightly unrelated question, noticed since restore some of the apps I was running now say 14 day free trial, my license hasn't changed? Hoping this is some sort of glitch because I'm relying on the spam filter at the moment which is also one of the apps that's apparently now "in trial"

Other than that recommendation looks like just the ticket. Thanks

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cappilio View Post
    It arrived yesterday, switch over was as smooth as expected.
    Seems to be running perfectly almost 24 hours not a single hiccup.

Slightly unrelated question, noticed since restore some of the apps I was running now say 14 day free trial, my license hasn't changed? Hoping this is some sort of glitch because I'm relying on the spam filter at the moment which is also one of the apps that's apparently now "in trial"

Other than that recommendation looks like just the ticket. Thanks
    Untangle Management GUI, on the upper right go to "Account Settings" and move the license to the new untangle.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by balrog View Post
    Untangle Management GUI, on the upper right go to "Account Settings" and move the license to the new untangle.
    What you mean is, log into the untangle.com/cmd portal and move the license. He will need to remove the license from the old box and activate the new box.

Untanglit

Cheers guys i thought i already did that bit, turns out all i did was delete the older one and it didnt automaticaly shift the license over.
    just done it now after getting use to the rebranded portal, been a while since i have logged in.

but thanks for the help and reccomendation itsvery snappy
    dashpuppy likes this.