Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    How are you running Dual WAN (WAN Failover) and at a minimum a single LAN connection with only 2xAnything??? Doesnt really matter if its a home office, larger office, etc... With only 2 ports how do you run Dual WAN Failover and a single LAN connection ?? For a home or very small mom and pop business is the only place I see 2xNICS being enough.
    Dual WAN failover, lol. Id be lucky to have most of our clients even have 2 ISP's. That Shit's expensive here in Canada. 90% of my clients have the Z4+ boxes, and a single WAN connection. Then Lan with vlan's on the single Lan port.

On the large Island I live on we have 3 solutions Telus OR Shaw. And if you go Cellular that's a Bell/Roger/Telus HSPA to ethernet device, and I can count on one hand minus 3 fingers, how many people would opt for that.
    defcomllc and RonV42 like this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Master Untangler

Gotcha, thats the big difference from us down here in the Northeast USA... I have damn near every client on Fiber and the big ones would have a Comcast or similar as a WAN2 Failover at a bigger cost.. But the past year, Ive been putting in T-Mobile for Business 5G Unlimited as WAN Failover for $50/month and for $5 more per month you can add a static WAN IP... So its a no brainer these days for all my clients (commercial) to have a WAN Failover at that cost. I dont do residential. The only cost on the T-Mobile is the up front 5G antenna cost which is $800-$1500 depending on the one I use and proximity to a 5G or 5G UC tower.... We are getting 400-800Mbps DL and 50-200Mbps UL on the T-Mobile 5G...

Also, the problem with using VLAN's only on lets say a single 1GB Internal LAN port... is that means you have to put all your POE cameras on the same switch as everything else. when you have a lot of 8MP cameras, thats a lot of bandwidth. I never put cameras on the same switch and subnet as my LAN.... Always a dedicated POE switch for cameras on their own dedicated subnet plugged into the LAN2/Camera port on the NVR.... The only way to do that and incorporate NGFW for remote VPN access to any of those Cameras or PtP hardware, switches remotely is by utilizing another physical LAN port on NGFW.... very inexpensive for the piece of mind, especially my Comcast cable clients that have frequent outages and no other ISP options....with everything IP based these days, uptime is the name of the game around here.
    Last edited by defcomllc; 07-29-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Master Untangler

Also, the problem with using VLAN's only on lets say a single 1GB Internal LAN port... is that means you have to put all your POE cameras on the same switch as everything else. when you have a lot of 8MP cameras, thats a lot of bandwidth. I never put cameras on the same switch and subnet as my LAN.... Always a dedicated POE switch for cameras on their own dedicated subnet plugged into the LAN2/Camera port on the NVR.... The only way to do that and incorporate NGFW for remote VPN access to any of those Cameras or PtP hardware, switches remotely is by utilizing another physical LAN port on NGFW.... very inexpensive for the piece of mind, especially my Comcast cable clients that have frequent outages and no other ISP options....with everything IP based these days, uptime is the name of the game around here.
    48 port Aruba switch at my clients office 12 of those are the Hikvision 8mp cameras, on a Vlan dedicated for Camera network running blue iris. Blue iris runs on a dedicated piece of hard ware with a 10gig SFP+ link for it. NOT a single issue at all.

Untangle is a Layer 7 switch, I don't see the difference between using 2 ports or 1 port with vlans.

My setup at home is a Aruba 1930-24-POE switch 5 8mp cameras tons of vlans, and currently I'm pushing it all through a 1gig port & BI in a vm through the 10gig sfp port to the server down stairs.

IMO in the past, I have seen people do this with crappy switch's and YES the network sucks. For me, I just sell clients good switches with good back end throughput and POOF success.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Why do you want the 6 port version ? 2 ports is plenty & 4 is over kill.
    1 for my WAN
    1 for my SmartThings
    1 for my WiFi Router
    1 for my PowerLine

That leaves me full with my current device.

It would be nice to some ports for:

• Wired backhaul for my Orbi (wifi) satellites.
    • The next big thing ...
    Untangle 16.4.1 (Build: 16.4.1.20211102) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    1 for my WAN
    1 for my SmartThings
    1 for my WiFi Router
    1 for my PowerLine

That leaves me full with my current device.

It would be nice to some ports for:

• Wired backhaul for my Orbi (wifi) satellites.
    • The next big thing ...

Best advice I can give you, buy a layer 2 manageable switch!
    soldier likes this.

Untangler

Gotcha, thats the big difference from us down here in the Northeast USA... I have damn near every client on Fiber and the big ones would have a Comcast or similar as a WAN2 Failover at a bigger cost.. But the past year, Ive been putting in T-Mobile for Business 5G Unlimited as WAN Failover for $50/month and for $5 more per month you can add a static WAN IP... So its a no brainer these days for all my clients (commercial) to have a WAN Failover at that cost. I dont do residential. The only cost on the T-Mobile is the up front 5G antenna cost which is $800-$1500 depending on the one I use and proximity to a 5G or 5G UC tower.... We are getting 400-800Mbps DL and 50-200Mbps UL on the T-Mobile 5G...

What hardware is TM business using?

I have one of the Nokia cans. Using it with a Waveform 2x2 panel. It works very well most of the time. I am using Untangle. I am using WAN failover and WAN balancer. Other provider is Spectrum. The untangle is connected to the Nokia via WiFi at the moment.

Business at $55/mo with fixed IP is really attractive.

They have just announced another modem/router that will also do n77. C band.

Dennis

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by DWomack View Post
    What hardware is TM business using?

I have one of the Nokia cans. Using it with a Waveform 2x2 panel. It works very well most of the time. I am using Untangle. I am using WAN failover and WAN balancer. Other provider is Spectrum. The untangle is connected to the Nokia via WiFi at the moment.

Business at $55/mo with fixed IP is really attractive.

They have just announced another modem/router that will also do n77. C band.

Dennis
    You now have the option when signing up for TM Business unlimited internet to take their free Nokia can device (not in the same league as the commercial equipment out there that I use) or just getting a SIM and using your own device.... I tested the Nokia for a while, signal quality and range is decent...

I use Inseego devices, specifically the FG2000e and FW2000e.. Way more options, way more control, and much longer range.... I did see they just announced another 5G router but Ill stick with Inseego.. Peplink has devices too I tested, but so far the Inseego devices have been awesome and fastest...Im pulling over 800Mbps down and 200Mbps up on the FW2000e.... In 5G UC areas with good signal Im pulling 700's down and 100's up on the FG2000e

https://inseego.com/download/Datashe...RO_FW2000e.pdf

https://inseego.com/download/datashe...g2000-uscc.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12