Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    134

    Default New Intel 11th Gen SFF Appliance

    I picked up 2 of these Topton Intel 11th Gen N6005 boxes feom AliExpress. Took 2 or so weeks to get here not bad. Grabbed them to play with as temp ER boxes to keep on the shelf or very small deployments. We will see how they hold up.

    Intel Pentium Silver N6005 4 cores 3.3ghz
    Fan less Design
    Nvme
    2xDDR4
    SATA6
    4x Intel i225 2.5Gb ports
    HDMI, 2xUSB3

    I bought the no ram no HD version for $232 shipped

    Got it the other day, through 16GB G.Skill DDR4 memory and Samsung 980 Pro 256GB nVME drive in it. Booted right up and installed latest NGFW 16 distro in 5min...

    I've been running it for a few days and it was very easy to setup and is working great. Gonna use one as my mobile demo setup with my Inseego FW2000E/T-Mobile 5G as WAN for demoing camera and 5G hardware for clients...







    Last edited by defcomllc; 07-27-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    Kyawa, RonV42, theoak and 1 others like this.

  2. #2
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    866

    Default

    N0t bad box, what about heat ? Does it get warm ? Do you have it connected to a 2.5g switch too ?
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  3. #3
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    N0t bad box, what about heat ? Does it get warm ? Do you have it connected to a 2.5g switch too ?
    It's warm on top yes....not hot, you can hold your hand on it and it's warm.

    I havent done any testing of the 2.5Gb yet but I plan to once I get some more free time
    dashpuppy likes this.

  4. #4
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    It's warm on top yes....not hot, you can hold your hand on it and it's warm.

    I havent done any testing of the 2.5Gb yet but I plan to once I get some more free time
    I have a few of the older black firewalls out there running pfsense, some areas they get warm so i plop one of these on top or under set it to low rpm to keep airflow.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  5. #5
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    236

    Default

    This is awesome. I have been eyeing these very same boxes; albeit, the 6 network port versions. Thank you so much for your report!
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Untangle 16.4.1 (Build: 16.4.1.20211102) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

  6. #6
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    This is awesome. I have been eyeing these very same boxes; albeit, the 6 network port versions. Thank you so much for your report!
    Why do you want the 6 port version ? 2 ports is plenty & 4 is over kill.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  7. #7
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I think 4 is a perfect amount. 6 Is unnecessary for any of my configs/deployments. 2 isnt enough..... 2 is only enough for me if my appliance has 2xSFP+ ports....

    I regularly use 1 for Primary WAN, 1 for Failover WAN, 1 for LAN and more recently....1 for Camera LAN that is run on a dedicated POE camera switch connected to NVR.. I typically put a NIC on the same subnet as that camera lan and give it an IP on that subnet and turn off DHCP. I do this for my camera setups that use NanoBeams and NanoSwitches, etc. so I can access, monitor and service that hardware via Wireguard where if I didnt do this, they are not available or accessible to the internet so the only option is to go onsite and plug a laptop directly into that dedicated camera poe switch... That got old fast years ago... hahahah.

    Now what would be AWESOME!!! is if this box came with 2xSFP+ ports!!!! That would just be icing on the damn cake!

    Most of my clients are all running Aruba or similar fully managed 48 port switches with 4xSFP+ ports.. my typical setup is stacking switches, whether in the same rack or across a building via fiber to 2 ports and feeding the stack with an SFP+ DAC from NGFW to one of the SFP+ ports on the 1st/master switch for a 10GB uplink....

    This is why I build almost all my NGFW appliances from Supermicro 1U appliances to get the 2xSFP+ ports along with 2x or 4x 1GB ports... Some even come with 2x10GB Copper ports as well which is nice
    Last edited by defcomllc; 07-29-2022 at 07:41 AM.

  8. #8
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Nice, i dont think the fan is necessary in a climate controlled installation but maybe if it was installed in a hot environment this could be a good fit for sure. Hasnt heated up past warm so far.

  9. #9
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    I think 4 is a perfect amount. 6 Is unnecessary for any of my configs/deployments. 2 isnt enough..... 2 is only enough for me if my appliance has 2xSFP+ ports....

    I regularly use 1 for Primary WAN, 1 for Failover WAN, 1 for LAN and more recently....1 for Camera LAN that is run on a dedicated POE camera switch connected to NVR.. I typically put a NIC on the same subnet as that camera lan and give it an IP on that subnet and turn off DHCP. I do this for my camera setups that use NanoBeams and NanoSwitches, etc. so I can access, monitor and service that hardware via Wireguard where if I didnt do this, they are not available or accessible to the internet so the only option is to go onsite and plug a laptop directly into that dedicated camera poe switch... That got old fast years ago... hahahah.

    Now what would be AWESOME!!! is if this box came with 2xSFP+ ports!!!! That would just be icing on the damn cake!

    Most of my clients are all running Aruba or similar fully managed 48 port switches with 4xSFP+ ports.. my typical setup is stacking switches, whether in the same rack or across a building via fiber to 2 ports and feeding the stack with an SFP+ DAC from NGFW to one of the SFP+ ports on the 1st/master switch for a 10GB uplink....

    This is why I build almost all my NGFW appliances from Supermicro 1U appliances to get the 2xSFP+ ports along with 2x or 4x 1GB ports... Some even come with 2x10GB Copper ports as well which is nice
    2 x 1gig for home office, 2 x 2.5gig for a larger office, OR 2 x sfp+ ports.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  10. #10
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    2 x 1gig for home office, 2 x 2.5gig for a larger office, OR 2 x sfp+ ports.

    How are you running Dual WAN (WAN Failover) and at a minimum a single LAN connection with only 2xAnything??? Doesnt really matter if its a home office, larger office, etc... With only 2 ports how do you run Dual WAN Failover and a single LAN connection ?? For a home or very small mom and pop business is the only place I see 2xNICS being enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2