Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 gb cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderz View Post
    at this rate we might not even see a new untangle release by end of this year. probably not even when debian 12 gets released.
    while OPNsense/pfsense churns out major updates at least twice per year and following latest BSD updates.
    I think we'll get to that point. What you're missing, and the fact that most in this thread are missing is just how small the Untangle dev team got before the buy out.

In many ways, we're lucky we got anything done at all over the last almost two years. Untangle was hit HARD by pandemic talent drain.

Arista actually seems to be addressing that, which is great to see honestly. You can have your *Sense junk, I want a kernel that can use wireguard without security vulns.

Well that an I'd like a project that doesn't threaten to sue me because I told the world I had hardware that worked with it.
    hpaunet likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

While I still do have an Untangle Complete subscription until 9/2023 I have switched to OPNsense in the last 2 months.
    The Arista buyout, the missing updates to current Linux etc got me worried and I wanted to be better safe than sorry.

Has taken a while and a steep learning curve but it's now fully working and has replaced all that Untangle was doing (and more). No fancy graphs and UI but a working thing.

I have installed it in a proxmox VM (on a Protecli FW6E 6 Port Intel i7 ) and throughput is higher than hardware Untangle (Protecli FW6C - 6 Port Intel i5).

So I can switch in a second to another solution the day I no longer see Untangle as viable.
    mikeyscott and nowebpresence like this.

Quote Originally Posted by manilx View Post
    While I still do have an Untangle Complete subscription until 9/2023 I have switched to OPNsense in the last 2 months.
    The Arista buyout, the missing updates to current Linux etc got me worried and I wanted to be better safe than sorry.

Has taken a while and a steep learning curve but it's now fully working and has replaced all that Untangle was doing (and more). No fancy graphs and UI but a working thing.

I have installed it in a proxmox VM (on a Protecli FW6E 6 Port Intel i7 ) and throughput is higher than hardware Untangle (Protecli FW6C - 6 Port Intel i5).

So I can switch in a second to another solution the day I no longer see Untangle as viable.
    same, i have a Home Complete subscription till next year but i am using OPNsense because of the lack of security updates to Debian/ Linux kernel, and also I cant get Sonos to work on my home network (even without a VLAN!). I got Sonos to work beautifully on OPNsense with the community plugin..so seamless
    nowebpresence likes this.

Master Untangler

Sounds like a lot of Home users/complaints lately. While I do understand there is a Home option...as a commercial IT company supporting commercial clients, none of this has ever been an issue or crossed my mind in regards to Untangle. Other than the Dashboard issue a few weeks back, I dont have any complaints and NGFW/ETM is working great for me and my clients. Still deploying boxes weekly without issue.

In regards to the comment above about Sonos... thats a network setup issue on your end bud... Im running Sonos at 15-20 clients with ZERO issues... NGFW....Fully managed layer 3 switches, Aruba and UBNT AP's.....Sonos soundbars, subs, Amps, One's, etc... zero issues what so ever. I even run a 4 zone Sonos setup at my house and shop without issue Im listening to it right now behind NGFW>Layer 3 switch and they are connected to UBNT WIFI6 AP's, 6 different AP's actually across 2 buildings... Zero issues. All my Sonos are on a VLAN tied to a specific SSID on the AP's at all my locations....

That Which Lurks Below

Quote Originally Posted by nowebpresence View Post
    Real classy response.
    I apologize to anyone who thought my response was rude or dismissive. It's difficult to convey tone in a written format and I assure you there was no flippancy intended. It might have better been phrased 'Yes, that's true. With that said, what does your statement bring to the conversation?'

Underscoring my point about tone, it's easy to interpret the post I was responding to as an accusation. While my coworkers and I are just words on a screen to most of y'all, they're real human beings whom I interact with on a daily basis. If someone implies something unkind about my coworkers, I find it reasonable to ask what value there is in the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight
    many wisdoms
    I want to underline all this, but especially: our engineering team was small before the acquisition and was hit hard by both the pandemic and the transition. Just because we're part of a much larger entity doesn't mean we suddenly have unlimited engineers and resources at our command.

Some of y'all may never have been through an acquisition like this and might not realize what a sea-change it is. It's not just that my paychecks have a different name at the top: there's a massive cultural shift. Priorities shift or are shifted for us; this is true in Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Support; you name it. Goals change, policies and procedures change, names change. Hell, most of us even had to get new work computers.

We strive to ensure our products are as high-quality as possible. We're not going to rush things to meet some arbitrary or implied deadline; we have always taken the time to make sure everything was done right and that isn't going to change. In short: we're doing the best we can under challenging circumstances and we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Edit: This has gotten way off-topic. Out of respect for the OP's question, any further responses unrelated to the thread topic will be removed.
    Last edited by gravenscroft; 08-31-2022 at 07:53 AM.
    Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
    ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
    he/him
    Please don't reboot your NGFW.
    How can we make Arista ETM products better?

Master Untangler

Heads & Thumbs up!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12