Untanglit

Default Installation issues on Dell Vostro line of desktops...

I was able to pick up some Dell Vostro 200 desktops for pretty cheap and hoped to put them at client sites with Untangle installed. When attempting to install Untangle, I get the following error:

Scanning for USB/Firewire drivers .... Done
    Can't find Knoppix file system Sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell
    Press reset button to quit.

I tried both the 5.1 and 5.2 ISOs and neither worked. I have been able to install Untangle on a Dimension 9200 with a Quad Core processor which was also "new" hardware I purchased.

Any ideas?

Untanglit

Replying to my own post...

I connected an external USB drive to the Vostro and was able to get the Untangle installation going. When I got to the point where it wanted me to select where to install Untangle -- it saw no hard drive.

A little investigation is in order...

I opened up the Vostro and see that they install a Foxconn F33M02 motherboard which apparently uses the new Intel G33 chipset. I am assuming that it is a hard drive controller driver issue...

Any can I hack the install CD to get the G33 drivers to initialize the drive and more importantly, are there drivers in the version of Debian that Untangle installs for the Intel G33 chipset?

I can actually return the computers to Dell if they are going to be more of a pain then they are worth. I was just hoping to be able to pick up inexpensive prebuilt boxes for installation at client sites.

Thanks,
    staysafeonline
    Last edited by staysafeonline; 09-11-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: saved the message too quickly...

Untanglit

Further research I found that the G33 is a replacement chipset for the old Intel 945. So i imagine at some point in the not so distant future that most of the Linux distros will include support for the new chipset. If you are purchasing or building a box for use with Untangle and need it "now" be careful to NOT purchase a machine with the newer Intel Chipsets in them until you verify that your chipset is supported.

I guess my question now is when will Untangle's support these new chipsets? (Or more accurately, once the open source projects release the drivers, how quickly will Untangle update their drivers?)

Thanks,
    staysafeonline

I just received the Vostro 200s that I ordered for a client.
    In the BIOS of the Vostro, change the SATA mode to RAID.

After that both the sata cd drive and hard drive were recognized!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by staysafeonline View Post
    Further research I found that the G33 is a replacement chipset for the old Intel 945. So i imagine at some point in the not so distant future that most of the Linux distros will include support for the new chipset. If you are purchasing or building a box for use with Untangle and need it "now" be careful to NOT purchase a machine with the newer Intel Chipsets in them until you verify that your chipset is supported.

I guess my question now is when will Untangle's support these new chipsets? (Or more accurately, once the open source projects release the drivers, how quickly will Untangle update their drivers?)

Thanks,
    staysafeonline

Let me guess, slickdeals.net or fatwallet
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

You are the MAN!!! Nice work -- why didn't I think of that! I actually was holding on to these machines to do "something" with them, now I can use them for what I ordered them for!

You made my weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by nerdroger View Post
    I just received the Vostro 200s that I ordered for a client.
    In the BIOS of the Vostro, change the SATA mode to RAID.

After that both the sata cd drive and hard drive were recognized!

Roger

Untanglit

How can you pass up a Dual Core machine with 1GB memory, 80Gb hard drive, slim form factor with a 19" wide panel monitor (that you can sell on eBay for like $125-150) for $399 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    Let me guess, slickdeals.net or fatwallet