Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible Untangle HW for under $200

Haven't tested this. Looks like geeks.com is selling many blade servers for under $200. (They are refurbs)

http://search.geeks.com/?SH=A%3dserv...&AnswerID=3170
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Blades ??? or rackable servers?
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------

Yup, I've seen their list of refurbs. I've half a mind to buy some of that stuff at some point, but I'd put it though some serious stress testing before turning it around to a client.

Some of those have some pretty decent horsepower for the price. It's hard to go wrong with dual Opteron 2.0 GHz processors, 4 GB RAM and a 120 GB hard drive, at under $200, especially when an enterprise grade 4 drive raid system will run close to $1000 (assuming you don't need it to have said raid setup).

blades require a blade enclosure..that is just the blade but not the enclosure..so good luck.

Master Untangler

Just use a Jetway dual gigabit nic C7 itx board for $99, with a cheap ITX case and a gig of ram and a cheap hdd. $175 out the door for a untangle system good for 20 users.

Technically, these aren't blade servers and shame on Geeks.com for listing them as such. They all look like 1u rack servers to me. They have a cool looking Appro Dual Opteron for $140. Has dual ethernet ports, plenty of memory and disk. Should work. Maybe I'll pick one up to play with it.

if they are truly 1u then it's a good deal...:0 When i first looked at it they showed actual blades not 1u's..<G>

Just wondering if anyone had any luck with the Appro hardware. Thinking about ebayn one for giggles. Good or bad... pls let me know.

Thanks.

Default just got one in

they are 1u rack mount 26" deep. very loud fans (8).
    untangle loaded first try, found all hardware, dual processors, 3 nic's, 4 gig of ram (8 * 512m), 120g hard drive, and such. will be putting in place of existing unit when i get back from vacation. i love untangle

p.s. it is the verari 4r
    Last edited by johnny499; 03-18-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: forgot to say which model

Master Untangler

The noise is one thing I was worried about. Not an issue if in a closet, but otherwise some of these rack units sound like a jet... Any way to quiet some of these units down, aside from disconnecting some of the fans, and maybe if dual powersupply only using one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast