Default Adaptec Storage Manager on Untangle

I'm looking for advice from the linux gurus:
    I want to be able to check on the health of my raid (or verify the drives) in my untangle box (the rackable unit near the top) without rebooting and going into the bios.

I've got an adaptec 2200S and looking to install the adaptec storagemanager software in with it.

I would prefer to get it right the first time.

OK, since no-one has given any suggestions, i'll use this post to let you know what i've done so far to try and get this to work:

I'm trying this on another machine with identical motherboard and raid card, not my production machine. I'm hoping that in the end this will be helpful to anyone who wants to install software on their untangle machine (if there's more on this on the forum already, please post with the info)

found adaptec storage manager from not adaptec, since they wanted me to register the card, and wouldn't accept any of the numbers on the card that i could find.
    file name: asm-linux_v2.12(922).rpm

cant install it without alien, so here's what i've done to install alien:

used vi to edit /etc/apt/sources.list
    added the line: deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib

ran apt-get update
    ran apt-get install alien
    answered "y" to all prompts unless i didn't like what they asked (in which case I evaluated them individually)

so far, it doesn't seem to have actually installed it or I can't find alien. "locate alien" and find "alien" return nothing (as in no result, not a blank line)

found that I had to reboot to get alien to work. more updates to follow.

UPDATE: "alien asm-linux_v2.12(922).rpm" doesn't work, so i grabbed "asm_linux_v4.00.rpm" and "alien asm_linux_v4.00.rpm" yields storman_4.00-1_i386.deb. Now I have to figure out what to do with that file. perhaps back to apt-get.
    Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 01-22-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Master Untangler

try dpkg -i storman_4.00-1_i386.deb
    That should install the files, then you might have to go looking for any config files, readme, etc.

I found this:
    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...296399,00.html
    Appears to be what I'm looking for, but I haven't got ssh up and running yet. Is there an easy way to enable ssh on the internal interface only?

i don't know about any of the stuff in your post - but I do love the screenshot!

you can enable ssh then use the packet filter to block it everywhere but the internal interface.
    as sky-knight says, be careful - the packet filter is in advanced for a reason!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

My intent for this thread is to help me (i'm selfish) figure out how to make UT more enterprise friendly. Raid management sans reboot fits into that category. I figure similar steps can be taken to install 3DM (3ware's raid managment tool), or any other for that matter.
    My motivation was ESXi, and it's apparent lack of ability to be enterprise friendly for the same reason. If you have to shut down your server server to remap a bad sector, that's bad.
    Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 01-26-2009 at 03:14 PM.

ESXI isn't enterprise vmware...it's a cut down free version. If you want true enterprise features you are going to have to pony up the $$$ to vmware.

yeah, i know. that's why it's pointless.