I'm hoping to use UT in my home. Currently I have the following devices:

1. Dual boot (XP/Ubuntu) Desktop
    2. iMac
    3. GOS EeePC
    4. PS3
    5. Wii
    6. iPod Touch
    7. Work Laptop (XP) mostly tunnelled into work via VPN

I want to log and control my sons access in terms of time and content and UT does, I think, exactly what I want.

I had hoped to use one of a couple of old box's as my UT install, however a combination of unsupported hardware and 2 years storage in the roof have meant this is not an option.

Kindly the responses to other posts have guided me to the following conclusions,

Buying a second hand server from eBay is not a good idea as the sort of hardware available cheaply is old, too powerful and possibly incompatible, therefore I will build my own?

Reading a series of posts about the specifications necessary for this small deployment, without any heavyweight modules leads me to the following idea, on which I'd appreciiate some guidance, suggestions and feedback

Motherboard: Jetway J7F4 fanless Via C7 1.2Ghz Processor
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    Ethernet: 2x Gigabit Realtek RTL8110SC in built
    SATA HDD: c. 80GB what would be best spec and the MOBO supports Raid0/1?

Case: TBC

Questions:
    1. Does this have the horsepower to do what I want
    2. Best spec and configuration for HDD

Target price would be c. 200 built

Your going to have a hard time finding a mobo with raid that works with untangle, especially in that price range.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

If it helps, my current project that I am about to embark on involves installing ubuntu server x64 on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with 8GB RAM, installing VMWare Server 2.0 and then creating two virtual machines, one for my file server and one for Untangle. I managed to source 3 Intel Pro S 10/100 PCI Network cards that I can install two of on the board I have purchased, and am using existing hard drives.

I paid around 160 for the board, processor and RAM, and managed to ebay a bargain on the nics - 1 each.

If I was in your position, and had case / PSU, I'd look for a similar board (40-45), cheapest possible CPU (40) and 4GB RAM (DDR2 is around 30 for that amount). Get a cheap as you like SATA disk (around 30), and then the quest is to bag a deal on linux supported NICs. The Intel cards are generally excellent, but normally quite pricey. Others may be able to suggest particular models that would meet your busget. Might be worth checking the hardware sticky threads and the hardware wiki.

Alternatively, it might be worth trying to find a couple of years old desktop PC going cheap and adding RAM / NICs as appropriate.

Your hardware should handle load fine, less the RAID. As Proactivens mentions, RAID is a bit of a trick on UT. I currently run a few of the VIA C7 based systems without any problems. The 80gb drive should be more than adequate.

I've also built an Intel Atom 330 based system that works well too.
    MiniPilote

Untanglit

Default Many thanks

Got the message about RAID, available function of the MOBO, will not use!

Glad to hear C7 isn't the total BoS I thought it was.

Default This is the best deal

If you need something for a good price just buy an NME SG1000 from here. $289. UT is preloaded. It's small, it comes with 2 nics and a gig of ram.

http://www.newmediaera.com/SG1000_SpecSheet.pdf
    Last edited by NoV!ruses; 01-26-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by NoV!ruses View Post
    If you need something for a good price just buy an NME SG1000 from here. $289. UT is preloaded. It's small, it comes with 2 nics and a gig of ram.

http://www.newmediaera.com/SG1000_SpecSheet.pdf
    Got complete specs on that ?
    Also how many nics are in it ?
    Can it hold 3 ?
    How many users would it be good for ?

Celeron 440(2.00GHz)
    1GB DDR2
    160GB HD
    The current specifications has two nics. We have it rolled in a 50 user environment.
    To hold 3 nics we would have to special order a dual nic card. This has not been tested.

Master Untangler

FYI that's a fair price for a Shuttle pre-built.

Quote Originally Posted by PROACTIVENS View Post
    Your going to have a hard time finding a mobo with raid that works with untangle, especially in that price range.
    http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=6879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast