pjo

Question Hardware spec to User ratio?

Ok, so I have been looking at Untangle after running m0n0wall's for the last several years and I think it might be something to replace them! That being said, I see the recommended hardware specs - I even found the list of tested hardware...but what I don't see (maybe I missed it) is some sort of guideline stating what specs would work for X amount of users.

What I am after is some sort of guideline that states:
    512MB RAM, 10GB HD, 2.0Ghz CPU, 2x100Mbps LAN = 25 Users
    2048MB RAM, 40GB HD, 2.4Ghz CPU, 2x100Mbps LAN = 75 Users
    (if that's even correct)

Is there anything like that around? If not, can we start some sort of recommended hardware-to-user-ratio? I am sure I am not the only one that would find this usefull...

pjo

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/H...e_Requirements

This is very accurate. UT requires a gig of ram at the low end..it just can't contain itself inside a smaller envelope well and run effectively.

pjo

Thanks hescomingsoon, I obviously missed that one!

pjo

I have 2x networks with 60-75 users each...one on a 10 meg pipe, the other on a 20 meg pipe.

Both are running UT on a Pentium 4, with 1024 megs of RAM. I think the P4s are a 2.4 and a 2.6GHz.

Memory consumption shows around 600 megs in the new system monitor in the UT 6 web admin, and CPU usage barely above 13-15%. Exchange servers on both networks too.

pjo

Thanks YeOldeStonecat, that is the kind of info I was looking for! Couple of questions for you if you don't mind:
    1) What's your internal network? GBLAN?
    2) What type of NICs are you running? Intel?
    3) What version of Exchange are you running behind UT?

Cheers,
    pjo

Onboard Intel Pro NIC on both, the other NICs are PCI...one is an Intel Pro, the other a 3COM 905. Just 10/100 NICs.

Internal network on one of those clients is gigabit..all HP ProCurve 1800 switches.

The other one is a mostly 10/100..with servers in the 8x gigabit ports. So the UT box is uplinked to one of the 100 ports. I'm moving this clients UT box to an HP DL320 they got donated not long ago.

Most of my clients are on SBS 2003...quite a few behind UT...but one of these larger clients they're on Exchange 2K7....non-SBS network. The other large client that's around 70x nodes is currently on SBS03 with 5x servers...they're going to EBS08 soon. This client also has a lot of remote users...about 25 nurses that randomly VPN in throughout the day....Juniper SSL VPN behind the UT box. So there's quite a bit of in/out traffic as they replicate their home healthcare data.

Both of these larger clients are currently running their UT on business grade desktops..an HP Evo DC510, and a Dell Optiplex GX260 I think. I put brand new hard drives in each....just 80 gigers. I like the standardized business grade desktops...often better grade components/chipsets on the motherboard. Those rigs have run well....they only get rebooted when I upgrade Untangle to a new version...run like tops 24x7 the rest of the time. I'll move them to 1U rack mounted servers over time.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 01-28-2009 at 06:27 PM.

mdh

pjo,

You're not going down a silly path here, but I wanted to mention one user who I ran across. He read the information on the web site and determined what would be appropriate hardware for the number of computers (26) he planned to have running behind Untangle. He didn't even think to consider that his 26 computers should be considered as more because they were PUBLIC-FACING web and mail servers. Once I managed to get him to understand why he was having problems with Untangle, he upped his hardware from a 2.4 GHz Asus/1GB RAM to a quad core 3.4 GHz Xeon with 4GB. It took me longer to get him to understand that his 80GB drive had a functional lifespan of just a few days, and he finally upgraded that to a 1TB drive. The only way I could get him to see it was to forecast the date/time that his spam processing would stop.....I missed it by about one hour. The main point here is that servers don't count as "a" machine when considering the number of users it effectively represents.

The other thing that needs serious consideration is how they utilize their network. Do they do alot of file downloading, uploading, P2P, or torrents? If so, then you need to account for that traffic as well.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!