Thread: Ghost and UID

Untanglit

Default Ghost and UID

Hello all,

First time poster, long time watcher.

All the standard stuff...Forgive me if this has been asked...couldn't find..etc..etc.

We roll out untangle boxes to our clients, installing the professional package for AD intergration.

We use the same hardware for each device we send out.

I would like to Ghost a default image for obvious time saving reasons, and understand that if I do this I will need to change my UID. I am no Linux expert and wonder if this is at all possible as I see the UID ties into the paid applications.

My Question.
    Can I use Ghost to deploy images, changing the UID of the installation each time this is done?

Thankyou in advance for the answer be it yay, nay or this is how

Cheers,
    Obie.

Untanglit

Is this what im looking for?

usermod -u UID username

The numerical value of the user's ID (UID) . This value must be unique, unless the -o option is used. The value must be non-negative. Values between 0 and 99 are typically reserved for system accounts. Any files which the user owns and which are located in the directory tree rooted at the user's home directory will have the file user ID changed automatically. Files outside of the user's home directory must be altered manually.

No, and I don't think what you're asking is possible... not even a factory reset regenerates the Installation ID.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

could not "partimage" be used for this ?

No.. it isn't an imaging issue it's an installer issue. I know of no way to make UT regenerate the UID and re-register with the UT back end post install.

I'm working on a DB script that will simply let me sync UT configuration DBs with a central store to do this sort of thing myself... but I'm no where near ready to educate the community on it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Dadburnit...misunderstood...re-read and as punishment will again go stick my head in a Windows box !!