Default Is this setup possible?

Internet - ASA 5501 - switch vlan 30 - Untangle Server - switch vlan 28 - test pc

Switch Vlan30 also has our DHCP, DNS, Email Server on it. UT external Nic plugged into this VLAN

Switch Vlan28 is setup on 2 ports on our HP Procurve switch, port 13 plugs into UT internal NIC, port 14 plugs directly into test pc. This is a test VLan setup as to not disrupt our network

• UT is in Bridge mode
    • UT can connect to internet and has grabbed updates and installed them

When I gave the test pc a static ip, gateway and dns in the same subnet as the other pc's in our Vlan30 network I could not connect to the internet via a browser, nor ping any of our servers while going through the UT server.

I am able to connect to the UT admin page and access all of the options on there.

My question is what am I missing?
    I have went into advanced mode and my external NIC has a checkmark on it being the WAN connection, and searched the forums looking for something similar, but since I have a wee bit of a different setup i'm not sure where to go from here.

I was hope to at least be able to ping any of our servers in our VLan 30 from my test pc but cannot. When logged in locally on the UT console I can ping any server in our VLan 30 and external internet ip's.

Stumped... ~
    Last edited by Mr. B; 07-13-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Untangler

my understanding is all vlan tags get stripped off when it passes through untangle. I would guess that is your problem here. Does test pc on Vlan 28 work if you remove untangle?

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    my understanding is all vlan tags get stripped off when it passes through untangle. I would guess that is your problem here. Does test pc on Vlan 28 work if you remove untangle?
    I tried your suggestion right after I posted and it seems the Vlan is screwy somehow..

what are the IPs & subnets of each VLAN? does untangle have an alias in each?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    what are the IPs & subnets of each VLAN? does untangle have an alias in each?

It was the VLan as it didn't have an IP assigned to it, etc.

I hooked up an unamaged 5port linksys switch like the following and i'm passing through it just fine now..

my pc > linksys 5port switch > internal NIC untangle > External Nic untangle

It is properly seeing me, showing what i surf in the reports, etc..

All is good..

Thanks for your help everyone..

If UT is in bridge mode, each side should be in the same VLAN. You've got one side in VLAN 30 and the other in VLAN 28. All ports in a bridge need to be in the same layer-two LAN. If you need a device with port in multiple LANs, you need a router. (Which I'm sure you know, just pointing it out.)
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Quote Originally Posted by neiby View Post
    If UT is in bridge mode, each side should be in the same VLAN. You've got one side in VLAN 30 and the other in VLAN 28. All ports in a bridge need to be in the same layer-two LAN. If you need a device with port in multiple LANs, you need a router. (Which I'm sure you know, just pointing it out.)
    I initially had both of the Untangles interfaces on the same vlan. The problem with that setup is that nothing passed through it outside of an occasional packet it would get from the network. (both nic's were on Vlan30). I could access the admin page, etc - but when looking at logs nothing was showing up (primarily due to no pc's were going through it to log anything).

I tried setting up the VLan28, but i failed at that, so to save time I just used the 5port linksys to hook my pc directly to the inside interface. Since then logs are showing my IP, on everything I have been testing.. And the website blocking, etc are working (I like the Untangle block screen and info it shows on why)..

When we decide on making this untangle box live the setup will be easier as I will have the external nic going to our ASA and the internal into our already setup VLan30.

I do thank u guys for your time..