Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Web GUI suddenly having trouble loading

We just got UT up and running a little while ago. I just now tried to open the Protocol Control settings and it was taking forever to load. I closed the window and just tried to log into the the GUI and now the rack isn't even loading. It has been "loading" for over two minutes now.

The load average spiked when something called keepup2date ran. Now java is the only thing using significant CPU. Before keepup2date ran, the load average was below 1. It's currently 1.51, 1.35, 1.12 and dropping.

Okay, it's now been about four minutes and the web interface still isn't loading.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

I should also mention that we have about 320 MB free RAM on a 2GB box. We're planning on upgrading it to 4GB. If we decide UT is definitely going to work for us after a month or two of testing, we'll be moving it to another faster machine that is currently being used for something else.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

how are you determining how much free ram there is if the web UI isn't loading?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    how are you determining how much free ram there is if the web UI isn't loading?
    I'm using top via SSH. We're also having another problem that I think requires the web UI to troubleshoot. For some reason, our employees are not able to access our OWA site now. I have no idea why that would be.

I think we're going to go pull some memory from another machine and put it into the UT box real fast. That's going to reboot it, so that might resolve this issue.

Is there a way to restart just the UT daemons without rebooting the box?

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. The UI finally loaded and seems to be pretty responsive. I still have no idea why inbound users to our internal mail server would get blocked, but that would be for another thread if I can't figure it out.

Weird. The web UI suddenly became responsive and at the same time our City's Internet site (which apparently was also unavailable) and our OWA site both became available again.

I think we're having a memory problem. We're doing to about 150 MB free out of 2G. We're about to go put two more gig of RAM into the UT server.
    Last edited by neiby; 07-14-2009 at 04:01 PM.

remember - if you're running 'free -m' you need to look at the *second* line (+/- cache) - not the first.
    I doubt you only have 150 meg free.

If untangle is still having DNS issues it will behave very weirdly because it will frequently pause when reverse DNS lookups fail.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I was just looking at top. I'm still refreshing my linux skills. We were going to put more RAM in it anyway. As far as I'm aware, UT shouldn't be having any DNS issues.

However, this may be a clue. The two sites I mentioned earlier have different addresses depending on where you do the lookup. They have public routable addresses if you query from the outside, but they resolve to private IP addresses if you query from inside, like UT is doing.

Do you think that might cause a problem? Should I point UT to outside DNS instead of our inside?

Crud. It just all locked up again. The web UI is unresponsive and now we can't get to our web sites from the outside.

We're going on about ten minutes of it being locked up. That means no web-based mail for our employees and no main website for our citizens, which gets a ton of use, actually.

Is there a way to kill UT and restart without waiting for a reboot?

EDIT: FYI, I just changed the DNS to an external DNS server to see if that fixes that problem. Let me know if you think I should have done that or not.
    Last edited by neiby; 07-14-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast