Default Deployment scenario

If someone could give me some feedback on whether or not the following deployment scenario should work, I'd be most appreciative. We have a 24-bit subnet with a Cisco 1800 series as the default gateway. The ACL in the Cisco 1800 routes the traffic based on destination IP to one of two places: all traffic to our core processing vendor via frame relay or to a Cisco ASA 5505 if it is any other traffic. From the ASA, it goes to a Speedstream DSL modem (we're esentially NATing twice, once at the DSL modem and then again at the ASA). I'd deploy a dedicated Untangle box between a switch and the ASA. So, the current setup looks something like this:

255.255.255.0 subnet
    |
    Dell PowerConnect Switch
    |
    Cisco 1800 Router -- Frame relay if Vendor
    |
    Dell PowerConnect Switch
    |
    Cisco ASA 5505 (if any other IP traffic)
    |
    Speedstream DSL Modem
    |
    Internet

That's very similar to how we have ours setup, although our network is larger than yours. I can't seen why you'd have any problems with that setup. As I understand it, you'll need to give Untangle an IP address on the same subnet as you're using between the router and the ASA. Then you'll need to add an alias on Untangle that is in the same subnet that you want to filter (your /24). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Untangle will need access to the Internet, so its default gateway should be the ASA. It will also need to be configured with one or two DNS servers. You probably will also need to enter a static route pointing back to your internal network. Just basic network stuff. The rest should be pretty simple.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Pagey View Post
    Thanks for the insight!
    No problem! We just got ours installed this week, so it's all fresh in my head.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.