Default First install - noobie questions

Setup the untangle box between the router and SBS server as transparent bridge.

1. first report comes through about traffic, hmm, it's all from the server (All network traffic goes through the server (it's SBS 2003), theres no other IP's mentioned. ie client workstations.

I wanted to see destinations/source IP's actually I want to see usernames cause the SBS assigns IP's via DHCP. If I get the AD add on will it work seeing as I am not even getting client IP's now ?

2. Seeings as reports and configuration things are veiwed via the webpage, can I manage them from another PC on the network, as it's a transparent bridge, what do i put into the address bar ?

Thanks,
    Aart

mdh

Have Untangle do the DHCP and connect SBS like you would any other machine on the net. If everyone goes to SBS and SBS connects to Untangle, Untangle sees ONLY SBS. In the way you have it set up, you will soon discover a myriad of other issues. Do some forum searches and you'll get a feel for it. AD won't help if SBS is between the users and Untangle. You can manage settings with http://<Untangle_IP>/webstart. Depending on how you're setup, you may need to use HTTPS. Welcome!

OK I will change the network structure to what you suggest.

But if untangle is in transparent bridge mode doesn't that mean it effectively has no IP, so remote management isn't possible ?

UT has an IP in bridge mode. It's assigned to the external interface. It's much like assigning an administrative IP to a network Ethernet switch. It's still a bridge, but it has an IP address on that LAN for management purposes.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Actually, it has an IP because a linux bridge requires routing information to "bridge" packets. It also happens to have a management interface on it.

Linux isn't capable of a true bridge.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com