Untangler

Default Linux Newbie SSH Issue

I'm trying to get SSH running on my Untangle server. When I try to connect from a machine inside my network, I get a "connection refused" error. I have searched on this forum and found a few things, but the answers were obviously given by and to people who know Linux pretty well. One tip I did see that I liked was changing the Listen Address to that of the gateway for my network, which I've done. However, when I re-start, I get a message that states something like "not_to_be_run". I'm wondering if there are some additional setup steps that I need to go through, and if so, what are they?

Thanks,
    Jesse

Untangle Ninja

Hi,

you migth find the wiki helpful.
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Enable_SSH

Untangler

That helped with the "do_not_start.." problem. But, when I try to connect from my other computer, I still get a "Connection Refused" error. Is there some sort of security or settings I need to change before this will work?

Jesse

Untangle Ninja

Normaly the internal network can access SSH without any truble.
    In your first post you typed
    I have searched on this forum and found a few things, but the answers were obviously given by and to people who know Linux pretty well. One tip I did see that I liked was changing the Listen Address to that of the gateway for my network
    Can you reset the settings?

Untangler

That was it. I'm able to connect using SSH now. However, I have one question. The change I was attempting to make was one to allow only computers from inside my network to connect to the Untangle box. Here's what I did:

* vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    * add a line: ListenAddress 192.168.1.1
    * save the file.
    * restart ssh: /etc/init.d/ssh restart

what I did to fix it and make it work again was to comment out the "ListenAddress" line. Is there some other way to do this so I make sure my connection is secure?

Thanks,
    Jesse

Master Untangler

that only changes the listening address, not necessarily who can get to it.

on my debian and arch servers i modify /etc/hosts.allow and change the line:
    sshd: ALL
    to
    sshd: 1.1.1.0/255.255.255.0

just substitute that with your local subnet

Untangler

There was no sshd: line in that file, so I added it. My network uses the format 192.168.1.x, so, should the line be:
    sshd: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 ?

Will this allow all computers on the network to access the ssh service?
    Should I have to re-boot the box after this change? I hooked back into SSH after this change, and it let me in, but I don't want that to change after a re-boot.

Thanks,
    Jesse

Master Untangler

you shouldnt have to reboot for it to take effect

was there a line?
    all: ALL

Untangler

No, there are several lines of comment at the top, and a couple examples that talk about "all:", but there were no lines other than that.