Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

:-) Well, I'm glad you know exactly what you want to do.

Let me replay conversation:

You: Hey I'm trying to do X, but it's broken.
    You: Oh, no, I figured out how to do X.
    Untangler: That's the wrong way to do X.
    CTO of Untangle: You've borked that box.
    Untangler: Installing webmin is a bad idea.
    You: Hey, but my router config isn't working right, why not?
    Me: It's clear you're messing with stuff you don't understand. By opening the box up to the regular debian sources your box is going to get in an unknown state and webmin is a big security risk on an external box and why do you need webmin to modify the sshd settings?
    You: Ahh, you guys are dumb. I know exactly what I'm doing.

Me: Have a good time.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 10-01-2009 at 08:33 PM.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    you can configure any port you like with the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    I only see the ssh port in ssh_config not the daemon of sshd. But what difference will this make vs webmin? Probably none, since webmin just edits these files.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    :-) Well, I'm glad you know exactly what you want to do.
    Thanks, but I don't know what firewall untangle uses, is it iptables? (If anyone knows)

Yes, it uses iptables, but any changes you make with webmin will be overwritten on any update you make with the untangle GUI.

Why did you install untangle?

Maybe I'm overtired, but sometimes the forums make me sad.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    Yes, it uses iptables, but any changes you make with webmin will be overwritten on any update you make with the untangle GUI.

Why did you install untangle?

Maybe I'm overtired, but sometimes the forums make me sad.
    I installed untangle to stop viruses and spyware, and intrustions, that's it really. But since it's debian based, might as well make it into a server.

Also I don't get what you are talking about. Security risk? Webmin?

UNTANGLE is NOT my router, my router is pfsense, which is freebsd based. Webmin is only accessible on Lan, not wan. As in, I can't access webmin even on lan, I am not going to port forward, port 10000, I just want to configure it on my desktop, not walk up to it.
    And ssh is not a danger for wan, because only I am going to access it.

Though you are right, I should wait for 7.0, whenever that comes available to my box. (Stupid distribution system imo, would be nice if you could just download some file from sourceforge on the untangle box and install it manually)

Now, I am not trying to be a hater, but you are just saying: Don't do this, or this, or that, or this.
    Last edited by jigglywiggly; 10-01-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Untangler

Also one more thing it was iptables, I just did iptables -F and I can access it.

I give up. JigglyWiggly. If you leave your apt sources as they are, your box will never upgrade to 7.0 properly. No matter what you do, you will also lose all your clever webmin induced modifications when the box upgrades. I know, stupid distribution system.

I will address the rest of this to anyone that is reading this thread in the future:

Please don't modify files on the file system on the untangle unless you know exactly what you're doing and add file overrides under config->networking->advanced. Keep in mind that you're disabling part of the reason why you installed Untangle in the first place, namely the nice integrated GUI. Also, be aware that each upgrade cycle will likely cause you headaches until you redo all your custom changes.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Untangler

No mate, I don't care if I have to reformat untangle it's a 30 minute process.
    I can just comment those sources back, if that even does anything, though I fail to see why it would not upgrade if I have those uncommented.

Also I never needed a nice gui, I am fairly handy with the terminal, though don't get me wrong. I like the gui, it is VERY good and simplified everything so much for me, which I indeed do love.

I never went into config > networking > advanced though.
    Last edited by jigglywiggly; 10-01-2009 at 09:31 PM.

And the moral to this thread is, wait till Untangle adds it to the system.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    And the moral to this thread is, wait till Untangle adds it to the system.
    Add what, webmin? I doubt they are ever going to do that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast