Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Jigglywiggly,

I'm adding backup to mrunkel's voice of reason here.

By altering sources.list, leaving the file altered, and not reverting to using ONLY Untangle repositories. When the server auto upgrades at 2am the following morning, it will pull a pile of updates from the Debian repositories that aren't compatible with Untangle. Untangle is based on Debian 5, it is NOT Debian 5.

Also, Untangle by definition is a management system. You've just installed a SECOND management system. They will operate in conflict. So I repeat, this is a bad idea. But, it is open source, you're free to hang yourself as you please. We're just trying to explain this to you before you find yourself in a train wreck, and wondering why these forums aren't helping you.

As for the staggered upgrade, it's called bandwidth. When you have a few thousand Untangle installs out there trying to auto-upgrade, you don't just open the flood gates. That's a good way to knock out your own data center.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

what does the UT upgrader use? SVN?

because it is not listed in the apt sources.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

yes it is.

Code:
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/untangle.lst
    if I recollect correct.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

this thread is hilarious

(Solignis its in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/untangle.list)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Oh, I meant it is not in the /etc/apt/sources.list where the debian stuff is.

Good to know though.

Forgive me I grew up on Windows 3.1 and have never had a proper introduction to Linux other than Untangle.
    Last edited by Solignis; 10-01-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Jigglywiggly,

I'm adding backup to mrunkel's voice of reason here.

By altering sources.list, leaving the file altered, and not reverting to using ONLY Untangle repositories. When the server auto upgrades at 2am the following morning, it will pull a pile of updates from the Debian repositories that aren't compatible with Untangle. Untangle is based on Debian 5, it is NOT Debian 5.

Also, Untangle by definition is a management system. You've just installed a SECOND management system. They will operate in conflict. So I repeat, this is a bad idea. But, it is open source, you're free to hang yourself as you please. We're just trying to explain this to you before you find yourself in a train wreck, and wondering why these forums aren't helping you.

As for the staggered upgrade, it's called bandwidth. When you have a few thousand Untangle installs out there trying to auto-upgrade, you don't just open the flood gates. That's a good way to knock out your own data center.
    You guys all seem to forget.
    It is not a router afjdsnfj nsfjsdnf kjsf njskdnfs
    It is just used to stop viruses, why not make it a ssh server as well?
    You guys don't explain why this is so dangerous, it is working quite well.
    Though I am probably going to get rid of untangle once my managed switch comes, sadly. Also I know it's not debian, it's based off of debian. I can comment those things back, but if I leave them uncommented, I am fairly fairly sure nothing bad will happen. You are just being anal. And let's be honest if something does go wrong, so...? Just reformat it.

Also just to clarify, the only way to access untangle on WAN is via ssh, omg huge security vulneribility ftw. How do I know this for sure? Well because pfsense is in front of it.

And to test for vulneribilities just check with nessusd.\

And about the update server, I am talking about getting the update from somewhere else that's not untangle. Like sourceforge. Manual download, read my posts.

(Also I fail to see how webmin will conflict, webmin just installs a gui for servers, so I can actually change the apache settings for untangle if I wanted too.) That's all webmin is, it's a gui that runs on port 10,000.
    Last edited by jigglywiggly; 10-02-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Yes, a GUI that plays with system settings...

A GUI based on a series of assumptions about the underlying system...

A set of ASSUMPTIONS that don't fly with Untangle due to the customizations. If you're willing to take the dragon by the horns go right ahead.

You've been warned, that is all my conscience requires.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

You what is the funniest part about this thread? Is that there is a "tip of the day" to install webmin on 6.x...I will not share the url. I will let the person who started this thread search for it...

I believe i read someone's signature here to "search the forums first"...(yeah a little late on the post, but i couldn't help myself)
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 10-02-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglywiggly View Post
    You guys all seem to forget.
    It is not a router afjdsnfj nsfjsdnf kjsf njskdnfs
    It is just used to stop viruses, why not make it a ssh server as well?
    You guys don't explain why this is so dangerous, it is working quite well.
    Though I am probably going to get rid of untangle once my managed switch comes, sadly. Also I know it's not debian, it's based off of debian. I can comment those things back, but if I leave them uncommented, I am fairly fairly sure nothing bad will happen. You are just being anal.
    I think they're honestly looking out for your best interest.

Its true - we're not going into a lot of depth about why this is a bad idea - that takes a lot of effort.

Regardless, have fun - do what you like with the software - thats the great thing about open source! Please don't complain though when you run into problems, and realize that when you do run into problems it will be hard for others to help you.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I know I won't complain, because if something goes wrong it's obviously my fault. But I just didn't expect to be getting scolded at for using untangle for something other than virus/spyware/etc protection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast