Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yes, a GUI that plays with system settings...

A GUI based on a series of assumptions about the underlying system...

A set of ASSUMPTIONS that don't fly with Untangle due to the customizations. If you're willing to take the dragon by the horns go right ahead.

You've been warned, that is all my conscience requires.
    Uh webmin just edits and makes config files. While those config files not be correct for untangle, it is only when I change those settings will it perhaps fail. However I severely doubt untangle has departed from debian so much.

It has, go read some of the files. Apache 2, and Xorg are good examples.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

For one Untangle uses a custom kernel, 2.6.26-15-1-Untangle I believe is what its called.

Also you are wondering why everyone frowns on adding extra @#$% / stuff to Untangle.

This is my reasoning.

You say you are going to use this machine to block viruses (most likely in a bridge). Keep in mind that webmin is not produced nor check / endorsed by Untangle to any degree. One, that could lead to compatibility issues. Two, because Untangle did not have anything to do with the code it is not worked into the UVM, instead it is free floating as a separate process somewhere in the system. Third, open source comes with risks, it is nature of the beast. They can be small risks or large risks depending on the application and its developers. You are wanting to take a box that has been sealed up by Untangle and poke unknown holes into it by loading a "foreign" piece of software that could potentially have bugs that could allow hackers or virus to take advantage of to breach your system and reek havoc to your network.

This is why I said, "Wait for Untangle to do something about it". I was not trying to be a smart ass I am hinting at the idea of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If you still want to install webmin on Untangle, at least do yourself a favor and find there project site and look at the bug report or the Bugzilla account or whatever they use, and see what you are messing with.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    For one Untangle uses a custom kernel, 2.6.26-15-1-Untangle I believe is what its called.

Also you are wondering why everyone frowns on adding extra @#$% / stuff to Untangle.

This is my reasoning.

You say you are going to use this machine to block viruses (most likely in a bridge). Keep in mind that webmin is not produced nor check / endorsed by Untangle to any degree. One, that could lead to compatibility issues. Two, because Untangle did not have anything to do with the code it is not worked into the UVM, instead it is free floating as a separate process somewhere in the system. Third, open source comes with risks, it is nature of the beast. They can be small risks or large risks depending on the application and its developers. You are wanting to take a box that has been sealed up by Untangle and poke unknown holes into it by loading a "foreign" piece of software that could potentially have bugs that could allow hackers or virus to take advantage of to breach your system and reek havoc to your network.

This is why I said, "Wait for Untangle to do something about it". I was not trying to be a smart ass I am hinting at the idea of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If you still want to install webmin on Untangle, at least do yourself a favor and find there project site and look at the bug report or the Bugzilla account or whatever they use, and see what you are messing with.
    I've already scanned it with nessus and tried using snort on my computers. Nessus found no vulnerabilities(all plugins up to date), and I turned on snort on pfsense. So seems good to me. (Also webmin is for so many Linux distroubutions, I highly doubt it is SEVERELY tested on all of them, and it just has a debian file for all debian or debian based os's. So seems good to me

And yeah I'm not new to opensource, I just think installing webmin, and thinking that it is a major security vulnerability is a bit... not that likely?
    Last edited by jigglywiggly; 10-03-2009 at 08:53 AM.

I'm locking this thread. it's a waste of time.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234