Default Post install questions

Good morning! I've been lurking a while trying to solve a few different issues, but I'm thinking I've put the cart before the horse. I want to use UT to filter our network but I have issues I need to resolve before I can justify spending any amount of money for additional apps.

DISCLAIMER: I know enough about networking to connect the dots and explain a problem intelligently to a support person. Sub netting is lost on me like automatic transmissions are lost on me (Elves change the gears, I'm certain of it).

Here is the story so far: I'm the administrator of a fairly large clinic that happens to reside in a hospital. This hospital has a vast network with many different clinics and satellite offices throughout the region. Our network is a very small part of whole. Our main office sits behind a router that separates US from THEM. We have our own domain, DNS, email, .etc. We also have many clinics throughout the region, but they sit outside of US, but inside of THEM as THEM controls our Internet access, firewalls, and handles our exceptions (IE, access to our Citrix farm, BES pass-through, etc.) We control (err, not really control, but we have the EN passwords for "our" switches) the US side of our routers and switches, but the second any traffic leaves any of our gateways it becomes THEM traffic that we can no longer control. Such examples are DNS forwarders, http requests, or access to any resource we do not manage.

Yesterday at 4 AM I deployed an Untangle 6.2 device (2x 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB, 2x 100 NIC) and began filtering one subnet of US. This represents the 'test' before the deployment. The box worked as expected. I experienced a horrible speed setting mis-match between the UT box and our Cisco, but I have figured it out and I'm thinking it won't be an issue for 'next time'.

The question before the house is this: Can I filter the rest of our offices using this box? I guess the real question is what do I need to add to our UT box to get it to filter our other networks? Or do I need to add anything to our other switches? We don't have any creative VLANs, but we do have creative sub netting (that we do not control). I can do anything to any client PC or Server on US. I can modify switches, but I cannot change any firewalls or perimeter devices which shouldn't matter since we are all 'inside' THEM.

Another question: Ideally the only thing this device would look at would be traffic destined for the Internet and any other traffic (RDP, Intranet/HTTP, DNS, AD, etc.) would just pass through. Is this a difficult thing to configure and is it even necessary?

These forums have a ton of good information and I'm thankful for resources such as this that make systems such as UT available to the masses. Thank you in advance for your participation .

Michael

Another question: Ideally the only thing this device would look at would be traffic destined for the Internet and any other traffic (RDP, Intranet/HTTP, DNS, AD, etc.) would just pass through. Is this a difficult thing to configure and is it even necessary?
    UT by default will not block any ports, therefore all HTTP, DNS, AD requests and lookups are wide open. unless you download Firewall application which is available for free, to control traffic and block ports.

So your LAN will not have any problems with incoming traffic.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps the first portion of the question would be better served in the networking section? I won't be the noob to xpost, so perhaps a mod could move this? Thanks!