Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Framebuffer applies to the amount of ram reserved for the onboard graphics adapter. That setting is meaningless once an AGP card is inserted as the onboard adapter will always be disabled with AGP.

This is no longer true for PCI-Express so newer installs you sometimes have to kill the onboard manually after you add a card to enable the extra ram.

This is something hardware, and I can't put my finger on it. If I had the box here I may be able to dig through the logs... troubleshooting hardware over a forum is a PITA.

You nead a graphics adapter with at least 4mb of ram, and a system with at least 512mb of ram preferably 1gb of ram to install.
    The stuff I put in the box would take it to 1gb of RAM with 64mb of Video. I didn't put in an AGP card; I put in a schmo 32bit PCI video card. This board doesn't have PCI-Express slots and I didn't have an AGP card with me.

WinXP ran fine on this box with 512mb of RAM and hardly any dedicated video memory at 1280x1024, so I kind of assumed this 'dedicated server' install would be lighter weight... I suppose some CPU features might be lighter, but a dedicated proxy/transparent bridge box being unable to cache data to disk when physical RAM is low seems unusual.

Regardless, I'll see what happens tomorrow. I now get an error about too many partitions on the disk, so I'll pull out the drive and delete the partitions on my Windows box, then see if my RAM is different speeds and maybe that is a problem with this OS. (It runs XP fine.)

An update that is more-or-less just me venting:

I replaced the old 10gb drive with a newer 40gb drive, I replaced the mis-matched RAM sticks for a single 1gb job, and I left in the 64mb video card with the 22in LCD monitor.

The installation didn't ask me about resolution this time. It must have auto-detected the new video card and liked it better than the old combo.

The initial installation where it partitions the drive and copies files went fine, but the first reboot where it comes up to the graphical/browser setup wizard took FOREVER. At least three times as long as it did with smaller hardware, probably more like four times. A solid 20minutes for this boot where it took like 5mins with the other stuff. I can't imagine the larger drive would slow down this part of the booting process. Surprising stuff.

Regardless, performance was the same once loaded. I installed the Open Source Package, verified I could get to the box on the LAN, and I did a shutdown.

I now get a green progress bar that I didn't get with the previous installations.

This booted fine after replacing all that hardware and reinstalling the product, so I assume it was graphics card-specific, but it could have been RAM or even hard drive somehow.

I am left sincerely disappointed, but at the same time I understand that packaged OSs can't support every piece of hardware. I did assume that a genuine Intel board with onboard NIC and video would be about as common as it gets, but clearly I was wrong on that front.

Thanks for the support on the forum, as I can now finally evaluate the product as I originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by 443dds View Post
    I replaced the old 10gb drive with a newer 40gb drive, I replaced the mis-matched RAM sticks for a single 1gb job, and I left in the 64mb video card with the 22in LCD monitor.
    At this point I have to get out the stick and ask if you bothered to read the system requirements? 10gb is entirely too small to get this product to install. 512mb of ram is the min, and Untangle may be a "server" but due to the "graphical" nature of the thing it needs workstation grade console. So it isn't a "server" in that it can run headless, and yes it needs hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

99.9% of the time, system requirements are based on performance assumptions, not real requirements for the system to actually operate.

With that said, I find it impossible that the box won't run with a 10gb drive since the installation disc is ~640mb and the downloaded open source package doesn't make up the difference. Not to mention people are all over these forums about getting the product to run on 4gb flash drives. I realize the product needs space for caching accelerator content and the like, but I assume it won't absent-mindedly try and fill an 8gb partition with 20gb of cache.

I now realize that the console is [unnecessarily] heavily graphical, and the option of a headless box is pretty much impossible in its current state.

I'm fairly certain the main problem lied with a display adapter / monitor combination that left the OS with a 'resolution code' that it didn't have in its database, and it gave up. During installation it allowed me to specify what I wanted to use, but on rebooting it didn't bother asking; it just gave up.

I'm darn confident I can install the product on 512mb RAM on a 10gb HD and it would run fine in a small environment like I'm running for testing.
    Last edited by 443dds; 10-15-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Master Untangler

I am having the same exact issue on a Jetway NC92-330-LF
    with 2gb ram, all defaults in the bios

First reboot was fine, installed and setup apps.
    Was good, rebooted to change the power on option in the bios.
    On second reboot got exact same issue as OP.
    Have tried video safe mode, etc...nothing
    On normal boot I get the gui with the green loading bar, once the load finishes the screen goes blank. If I hit a key on the key board it wakes up the monitor and displays the text as in the OPs screen shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 443dds View Post
    99.9% of the time, system requirements are based on performance assumptions, not real requirements for the system to actually operate.

I'm darn confident I can install the product on 512mb RAM on a 10gb HD and it would run fine in a small environment like I'm running for testing.
    To address assumption one, I'll admit that to be true in the Windows world. In the Linux world when it says it's needed, it means it.

To address the final two assumptions. Yes the product will install in 10gb, no it won't survive long. You're completely forgetting about the reports event database that grows exponentially. 40gb is the minimum because a normal system will stabilize at approximately 30gb of used space due to logs and database consumption.

You say you've seen posts of people doing stuff in 4gb flash drives. Have you seen anything from anyone with a respectable post count? I'll bet you haven't... The resellers around here aren't stupid enough to force UT into that small of a drive.

512mb of available ram is enough to run the software, but as soon as you get the entire open source rack involved you'll be running very light on ram. If you have hardware based network interfaces you can stretch it out a LONG time with creative use of bypass rules. This limitation will bite you in the but far more in production than it will in testing. Just be aware that the linux kernel does all routing and bridging in physical ram, so if you run out... you're done.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-15-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

just re-installed a fresh 7.0 on the box, restored the settings, rebooted and bam same thing.

With the backup and restore? The restore process is broken with 7.0, and it will break your box.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

good to know.....

is there a final solution to this problem?
    4gb ram with 512mb shared out to onboard video
    250gb sata drive
    amd athlon x2 64bit cpu

i've tried everything suggested in this forum, but i can't get past the test screen with the following repeating message: "monit daemon at 7324 awakened"

HELP!!!

nevermind, i was successful after several more installs on the same hardware... :-)

shouldn't be so hit or miss though... :-(
    Last edited by jrugel; 10-18-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: updated info...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123