Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Installation Woes

I'm not a nix guy, but I'd like to poke at the dedicated server/open source product.

I downloaded the 7.0 ISO, burned it, and crammed it into an old P4 clone workstation.

Install was straightforward and fairly obvious, and I was able to browse through the box in no time after installing the open source package.

My issue is after the first reboot. Consistently after the first reboot it loads to a screen saying: "Untangle login: ERROR: process ID list syntax error." with a bunch of syntax options, then spams the console with "monit daemon at 6796 awakened" every 30 seconds or so.

If I hit keys on the console I get a text login prompt (Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 untangle.example.com tty1), but my admin : password I used at installation doesn't work. (Although it worked previously when logging in via my LAN URL.) I can ping the LAN side IP address when it is in this state, but I can't get to the URL in my browser.

The first time this happened I thought it was a fluke, so I deleted all the partitions on the drive and reinstalled. After first reboot it did the SAME thing.

Midway through the bootup process I am able to get the web URL to ask for a login (the regular Untangle administration login screen), but it says the system was unavailable or something when I put in my credentials. Once the console finishes whatever it is doing, the web login screen is no longer available.

So... What am I missing?
    Last edited by 443dds; 10-14-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: admin : password turned into some sort of smiley

The only reason to see a text login prompt is X failing to load. If X is failing to load you have an unsupported video card and monitor combination.

If you are using Untangle Version 7.0 try the Video Safe Mode option on boot.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Video Safe Mode changes nothing. It does the absolute identical thing.

What mainboard, what graphics card, and what monitor? Is there a KVM involved?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Intel Mainboard: D845GEBV2. Integrated graphics. Acer AL1715 LCD. No KVM.

Intel 845ge chip set with ICH4 south bridge and an intel extreme controller... that should just work.

In the BIOS how much memory is shared to the graphics card? How much ram is in the system?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Thats weird that it booted video fine at first and now doesn't.

Has anything changed?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Intel 845ge chip set with ICH4 south bridge and an intel extreme controller... that should just work.

In the BIOS how much memory is shared to the graphics card? How much ram is in the system?
    512mb total for the machine. Under 'Video Configuration' in BIOS, it says AGP Aperture Size is 64mb and Frame Buffer Size is 1mb. No idea if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Thats weird that it booted video fine at first and now doesn't.

Has anything changed?
    Nope. Just a straight-forward reboot using the button at the bottom of the navigation bar on the console.

During the installation it does ask about video settings and gives me a list of a bunch. I selected some 640x480 option E or the like and it worked fine... Although you'd think if it was video related that the Video Safe Mode would work, no?

Ah HAH and the issue reveals itself.

Boost framebuffer to at least 4mb, and you may as well add some more ram to the box. 512mb is the minimum needed to operate, and this is available ram, you're under 512mb after you share to vga.

The installer will work because it runs at 640x480. UT runs at 1024x768. When introducing full color to the mix that is 1mb of graphic ram, and 4mb of graphic ram respectively. You may still need to use VGA safe mode to run.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast