Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    Use UT in ROUTER mode and stick the dlink dir behind it. problem solved
    You make it sound so easy! Probably is if you have a freaking clue what you're doing.

Let's say I do that. Okay, so now untangle would be my router. I need to set up my internet connection (that part is easy), I need to configure my port forwards so they are the same as they are on the dlink now (guess I can write down the settings from the dlink) and set them up on untangle, then I need to tell the dlink to stop working so hard.

My guess is I would change the dlink from PPPoE to dynamic, shut off DHCP and leave the wireless settings as they are now? And as for physically plugging in things, my guess would be dsl moden to untangle external, untangle internal to one of the switch ports on the wireless router (not the WAN port), then everything else would work off of that.

Sorry if I ask too many things but I want to make sure I have this all set up right so I don;t have network users screaming at me!

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp on what to do. What's holding you up?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp on what to do. What's holding you up?
    +1

sounds like you actually understand more than you think you do.

you could keep it simple for now and leave the dir out.

make UT the router, plug the modem into the external, plug internal to the switch. after you have verified all is working properly, hang the DIR off the switch somewhere using one of the LAN ports and get the wireless working

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    +1

sounds like you actually understand more than you think you do.

you could keep it simple for now and leave the dir out.

make UT the router, plug the modem into the external, plug internal to the switch. after you have verified all is working properly, hang the DIR off the switch somewhere using one of the LAN ports and get the wireless working
    Thanks, I feel like a dummy compared to the kids I work with! I'm 46 years old and build all my own PCs so I'm not a complete dummy. But I work with a group of 20 somethings that make my knowledge seem like I am a total beginner! I've set up lots of home networks running as a workgroup but that's about it.

The wireless is pretty important so I'll need to get it up and running ASAP. I have 3 wireless PCs, a wirleless printer, an xbox 360 and an ipod touch that all connect wirelessly. Yeah. most of it is the kids stuff and they don't like being bumped offline for a second!!

Here's a really dumb question, once the untangle server is all configured how often will I need to hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse to it? That will affect it's final position.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Fear, just plain old fear.

Master Untangler

One more thing, will I need to reset the IP address of the wireless router? Right now it's 192.168.0.1. Can I specify my IP range in untangle for my network? So many questions!

Master Untangler

Okay, I am in over my head. I do not know what I am supposed to do to get untangle to actually work. Think I need to start from scratch since the setup was kind of botched. I turned it off in the middle of getting the settings all set up.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by lohearn View Post
    Okay, I am in over my head. I do not know what I am supposed to do to get untangle to actually work. Think I need to start from scratch since the setup was kind of botched. I turned it off in the middle of getting the settings all set up.
    LOL....boot from CD, install, go through the configuration when it comes up...it can be daunting at first, but think of it as any other OS install...its fairly straightforward and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lohearn View Post
    Here's a really dumb question, once the untangle server is all configured how often will I need to hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse to it? That will affect it's final position.
    Pretty much never. I haven't plugged a monitor / keyboard into it in months.

First of all, you can't install Untangle without some downtime. It's reality, deal with it.

Second, the Untangle router can be installed with default configuration. Just change Untangle's lan address to 192.168.0.1, instead of 192.168.1.1 and the IP space will stay the same.

Does this mean you need to change the lan IP on the router? yup... just get into the router, kill DHCP, and change the lan address. You don't need to make any other changes, and it will run as is.

As for the keyboard and mouse... Untangle is a server, not a router. It needs keyboard, mouse, and monitor to function normally. Not all hardware has this limitation, but I don't like having PCs in service I don't have console access to. It's saved my arse entirely too many times.

How often will you use it? Never if things work correctly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast