Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    First of all, you can't install Untangle without some downtime. It's reality, deal with it.
    I hate reality! I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck and not be able to figure out what to do and with NO access to the internet, well I'm dead in the water.

I unplugged the dlink router, shut off the modem and started up untangle. Brought the modem back up and made sure it was awake. Untangle came up, I entered my PPPoE user name and password, finished the rest of the set up config and tested my connection. All I get is a failed connection TCP failed. Can not ping anything outside my local network but at least my local network was happy and I could ping all my internal addresses no problem. I just can't get to the outside world. Hello, internet, you there?

Untangle Ninja

My

Download KeePass and use it to document your network settings and passwords, etc, securely.

If you're going to set everything as dhcp, make sure you reserve the addresses for the core network stuff, 655, vonage, printers, whs, after they're allocated in the UT control panel.

Also, if you do a repair on the network adaptor you shouldn't actually need to reboot the workstations.

You needn't have peripherals plugged into UT, just have them readily available, once I set up the networking config, I take all that off and access it from a workstation on the lan then do the module adds and such.

Don't fear the wiki either.

Untangle Ninja

Did you commit the classic error of plugging the cables in to the wrong nics? One the them, usually eth0 goes to the modem, you can test that from the 1st tab on the network config page.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
    Did you commit the classic error of plugging the cables in to the wrong nics? One the them, usually eth0 goes to the modem, you can test that from the 1st tab on the network config page.
    Nope, at least I didn't make that mistake!

Okay, saw some amount of success. Changed my network setting and voila! Untangle said it successfully connected to the internet. Got one wired pc to connect to untangle and then nothing worked. I tried to add apps to untangle and got connection errors? So I gave up, shut off untangle, shut off the modem, and piut everything back to run through the dlink. I am in so far over my head, I can see that now. I understand the hardware side, what to plug in where, but all those settings in untangle have me scratching my head.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get untangle set up properly. The wiki has a lot of info but not if you are offline and trying to get untangle set up. The settings look nothing like they do in my dlink router so getting my port forwards and remote access through WHS set up will be challenging to say the least. I managed to get the IP address range set up to what I wanted in DHCP on untangle. My test PC pulled an IP no problem then it wouldn't go online. Untangle claimed to be conncetd to teh internet but I was unable to download and install apps.

Guess I better get to the wiki and print out everything I may remotely need before I try again.

I think that you have a good understanding of what it is that you want to do, but just haven't done it before. One thing that really helps me whenever I am doing something completely outside of my experience, is to set up a test environment in which to practice. For instance at my house I set untangle up first just to see what it would look like, then I set up a test environment here, and finally, we did The Big Changeover. I'm sorry that I lost track of your thread over the weekend...I was helping someone move...

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
    I think that you have a good understanding of what it is that you want to do, but just haven't done it before. One thing that really helps me whenever I am doing something completely outside of my experience, is to set up a test environment in which to practice. For instance at my house I set untangle up first just to see what it would look like, then I set up a test environment here, and finally, we did The Big Changeover. I'm sorry that I lost track of your thread over the weekend...I was helping someone move...
    No biggie! I am just thrilled that you and everyone else are willing to help me out.

In my dlink router the settings are pretty straight forward, easy I would say. It does a lot of the work so I don't have to think about it. The untangle router is not quite as intuitive shall we say . To set up a test for untangle what would I plug into? The external port to the dlink and the internal port to a PC?

I would grab a couple computers and take them home to set up an environment there. That way you have all the time in the world, and no one to gripe about it that you can't stare down/beat into submission. Just make sure that one of those computers has two or more NICs in it so that you can set up untangle on it, and use the other machine as a "client" machine.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
    I would grab a couple computers and take them home to set up an environment there. That way you have all the time in the world, and no one to gripe about it that you can't stare down/beat into submission. Just make sure that one of those computers has two or more NICs in it so that you can set up untangle on it, and use the other machine as a "client" machine.
    Well I have the two PCs, I'm just short a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have my untangle box and I have a dual boot XP Pro/windows 7 machine that I keep around because one place I do work for has ancient software that won't run on my Vista 64 machine. But I only have one spare keyboard, mouse and monitor.

So how will I test what I try? What I need to figure out is the port forwarding and network settings, I know this is basic stuff for you pros but very complicated for this 46 year old lady. So I set it up as a separate network that uses my current gateway (the dlink), right?

Complicated sure, but Untangle was designed to be deployed by the end user.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I just realized something. I have another router! Would untangle be easier to set up as a transparent bridge?

I have a netgear router sitting in my closet unused and unloved.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast