Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Besides the ports I'm trying to open to the WHS, I also have a remote desktop port opened up that allows me to connect to my desktop at home through windows remote desktop. That works no problem?? I'm at work and decided to give it a try and it worked without issue?

That one is:
    Name: my desktop
    Destination port: 3389
    Source interface: external
    Protocal: TCP UDP

That one works? I am oh so baffled now.

Master Untangler

I can get to my home desktop through remote desktop so something somewhere is configured correctly. If I type in to a browser https://myserver.com (not the real web address of my home server) I get a certificate error, if I click to continue on to the website I get the untangle admin login screen? So WHS and untangle have their wires crossed someplace!

Master Untangler

You have to setup port forward rule for 443 as well. Also did you change the admin to some other port in the previous post? Also on your destination port, only a single port apply not multiples
    Last edited by dknyinva; 11-12-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dknyinva View Post
    You have to setup port forward rule for 443 as well. Also did you change the admin to some other port in the previous post? Also on your destination port, only a single port apply not multiples
    I thought the wiki said I could do it that way. So I need to set up each port separately?

mdh

Quote Originally Posted by dknyinva View Post
    If he is forwarding five ports (as an example) to an internal server, he can forward them all in a single rule with commas OR hyphens BUT NOT BOTH in the same rule, and can leave the destination port blank IF they are going to the identical port numbers on the internal server.

If he is changing port numbers on the internal server (port 81 to the outside world and port 80 on the inside), he must specify the port number AND cannot have multiple ports specified in the same rule.

I also had a question for lohearn. When Windows Live is testing the ability of the server to be seen, is it using HTTP or HTTPS, AND is it using the IP address or the domain name? If the primary and alias IPs are swapped, the IP won't match the DNS record.....that is assuming that the domain name has been registered. One user in the past thought he could just declare it and it would mystically be accessible to the outside. That's why I mention that.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    I also had a question for lohearn. When Windows Live is testing the ability of the server to be seen, is it using HTTP or HTTPS, AND is it using the IP address or the domain name? If the primary and alias IPs are swapped, the IP won't match the DNS record.....that is assuming that the domain name has been registered. One user in the past thought he could just declare it and it would mystically be accessible to the outside. That's why I mention that.
    Time for me to look dumb again! The server was set up by someone else, including the windows live domain stuff. It worked perfectly until I decided I had to have untangle! I'm waiting to hear back from the guy who set up my server, I am so not well versed in this stuff.

When I told the guy I had gotten untangle set up and running, made the dlink router an access point and switch, and got my network behind untangle he seemed impressed with what I had managed to accomplish but now I'm stuck. He didn't have time to look into yesterday and said he'd be in touch soon. Any information I get to correct my problem I'll pass along.

Mdh, I wish I knew enough about my own server's setup to answer your question!
    Last edited by lohearn; 11-13-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Master Untangler

I am giving up and throwing in the towel. I have been all over the internet, I have read the wiki over, and over, and over and still I can not resolve the conflict between WHS and untangle when it comes to my windows live domain. I will keep my dlink dir-655 as an access point only and I am going to change untangle to a bridge. I have pulled out my old netgear FVS318 router and will put it back into service this weekend, I need to have my windows home server home page back again. I have it set up so my tenants have user names and passwords and they can upload notes to it, add pictures to it, etc. Helps to keep me in touch with them and keep up to date with what;s happening at my rental property.

Master Untangler

dont give up

why dont you try something in your port forward rule....get rid of source interface or add INTERNAL to it. sounds like it is trying to go out to the internet, and ping itself from the outside....if the request is coming from internal, your rule states explicitly to listen on the external interface only

Master Untangler

Thanks pirate ghost. I just can't seem to get around this issue. When I type in my home server window's live domain name into a web browser I get my untangle login screen.

Are there additional options in the advanced mode that I should be using?

mdh

Quote Originally Posted by lohearn View Post
    Thanks pirate ghost. I just can't seem to get around this issue. When I type in my home server window's live domain name into a web browser I get my untangle login screen.

Are there additional options in the advanced mode that I should be using?
    You get the Untangle login screen if you try to access it from the public world or the private world? On the inside, port 80 is used for administration of Untangle. There is a setting in CONFIG -> NETWORKING -> ADVANCED to fix that. If you're having that problem from the outside, you still have other issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast