Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    You get the Untangle login screen if you try to access it from the public world or the private world? On the inside, port 80 is used for administration of Untangle. There is a setting in CONFIG -> NETWORKING -> ADVANCED to fix that. If you're having that problem from the outside, you still have other issues.
    Outside world, tried yesterday from work.

Remote desktop works, I have a file service on port 9090 that works flawlessly too. It's just the website that deosn't work too well.

Master Untangler

why dont you set your WHS to use a different set of ports?

http://mswhs.com/2007/06/21/problems...d-443-blocked/

mdh

lohearn,

I just sent you a private message.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    lohearn,

I just sent you a private message.
    Got it and responded. Thanks!

Master Untangler

mdh, I want to thank you again for your very generous offer!! But, I threw in the towel. I gave up. Untangle is currently running in bridge mode. Dug out my old netgear router and put it back in service. My homeserver website is back, all is working great so for now that's where I am.

Untangle was fast as a router, I did some speed testing on my internet connection and I saw an improvement so i would like to eventually get it working as a router again but for now I'm good.

mdh

I hope that you can get it working the way you want to sooner or later. In the meantime, do some poking around on the forums and you may be able to find others who have had identical issues. They may have provided your answers already. I can almost guarantee that its something simple that was overlooked.

In Untangle your very 1st Step is to go to CONFIG->ADMINISTRATION -- on the first tab, you must change the admin port from 443 to another port like 9443. Then WHS 443 will work.

When you have Untangle configured as a Router are you using the Untangle Firewall?

From the Untangle wiki:
    By default, the default action of the Untangle Firewall is set to Pass. If you had changed that to Block then create an explicit rule that allows all traffic you want to pass. Typically this means creating a pass rule for outbound DNS, web traffic and any other protocols, and creating a pass rule for any inbound traffic you may have. (Note: In this scenario, any port forwards must also have accompanying Firewall rules or the Firewall will block that forwarded traffic
    If you have not re-configured the Untangle Firewall then some other aspect of Untangle has been mis-configured.

I have WHS working under the auspices of Untangle. I have done it using the conventional ports [80, 443, 4125] and I have also done it using alternate ports to overcome security issues posed by exposing the conventional ports 80 and 443.

For WHS when using the conventional ports [80, 443, 4125] my port forward rule is as follows:

Destination Port: 80,443,4125
    Protocol: TCP
    Destination Local

Forward Traffic to the following location:
    New Destination: 192.168.xxx.xxx

If you want to avoid the WHS security issues posed by exposing the conventional ports [80, 443] its a little bit more work found here. But the jist of the work is that WHS IIS and the WHS Firewall needs to be reconfigured to use alternate ports. Also when using alternate ports the WHS remote access "check" will fail but your Windows live domain for WHS will continue to work with a slight modification that you would need to make. i.e. if your Windows live domain is http://myunique.homeserver.com YOU would then modify that to be https://myunique.homeserver.com:10443 -- note that with alternate ports you and your WHS remote users will lose the ability to use http but they will be able to acces your WHS website using https as noted.

If you stay with the conventional ports configuration then your Windows live domain link will work as needed and WHS will look after the redirect to https.
    Last edited by mozerd; 11-15-2009 at 04:52 AM. Reason: more info

Master Untangler

Thanks David.

I had changed the port for untangle to 4433 to try and avoid conflicts with WHS. Remote desktop worked, a service I have running on another port worked just fine, it was just the webpage. I haven't completely given up yet, just dumped untangle into transparent bridge mode for now, good thing I just happened to have a spare router sitting around.

Master Untangler

Here's an update to my saga. I installed untangle 7.1 beta on a mini atom PC I have. Set it up to test it out and liked what I saw, especially when I plugged in a UBS NIC I had and untangle saw it, configured it and used it! Decided to get it set up for real with all my port fowards, etc. So wihtout it being connected to anything I got all the settings setup and then went for the big change.

Powered down my modem, powered down my router, powered down my other untangle box. Plugged in tiny PC untangle, powered up my modem, powered up untangle. As soon as untangle came up I went in and checked all my settings, everything looked good. All the network PCs have internet and now the big test, windows home server. It works, it just works fine!

I am so happy! I have my beloved untangle back again and so far I have to say 7.1 beta rocks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123