Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Help with port forwarding!

As you know from my previous and lengthy post I am setting up untangle as a router for the fiirst time. So far everything now works EXCEPT my port forwards for WHS.

I have no clue what order the steps shoudl be in, can I list more than one port? I know how it was set up on my old router, I just do not know how to move it to my untangle router.

mdh

Port range is low-high (example 1000-3000)
    Multiple non-consecutive ports are p1,p2,p3 (example 25,80,443)

You cannot combine these two rules to make one...they will not parse out properly.

Master Untangler

On my old dlink the settings look completely different.

There are only 4 boxes to fill in for port fowarding on my old router, in this order:

Name: Ports to open TCP:
    IP Address: Ports to Open UDP:

That's it, that's all there is. Mine looked something like this (ports are all make believe, for demonstration only):
    Name: myserver Ports to Open TCP: 72, 512, 7070, 3555
    IP address: 192.168.1.111 Ports to Open UDP: 72, 512, 7070, 3555

Now I'm trying to translate that, which worked flawlessly, into untangles port fowarding. Not going well, WHS keeps telling me my ports aren't configured correctly.

mdh

WHS?

Read this:

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/P...etwork_Traffic

If you had a FTP server on 192.168.1.100 and a web server on 192.168.1.200, you would forward traffic as follows:

For FTP:
    Destination Port: 21
    Source Interface: external
    Protocol: TCP
    Forward to IP: 192.168.1.100

For Web Server Traffic:
    Destination Port: 80 (if you allow HTTP and HTTPS you should enter 80,443)
    Source Interface: external
    Protocol: TCP
    Forward to IP: 192.168.1.200

That means any FTP traffic will go only to 192.168.1.100, and any HTTP/S traffic will go only to 192.168.1.200. If both types of traffic were on the same internal server, add the appropriate port to the rule. If you get a request for port 6605 (as an example), you haven't told it where to go, so it won't go anywhere. Take a step back and think about what you want to do and the mechanics of it will become more clear.

Master Untangler

WHS for windows home server, which was set up by someone else for me. The port forwards and all of that was also set up by the same person. It's all new to me, the server is only a few months old and while I get what it does I don't know all the mechanics behind what it does.

mdh

Look at it from a simplistic sense first.

Port forwarding forwards traffic from the router to a LAN-based computer. You supply the criteria.

Firewalls block or allow traffic coming into or going out of your network. You supply the criteria. Some traffic needs to be controlled on the way into your network, but some may need to be controlled going out too.

Protocol Control says you can do this, but you can't do that. You supply the criteria.

Web Filter says you can go to these sites, but you can't go to those. You decide which.

Each piece of Untangle has its purpose. I really think its best that you do some wiki reading and thinking about overall purpose before spending a lot of hours doing things that may need to be done again if they weren't planned out right in the first place.

When it comes to port numbers, it doesn't hurt to list real ports. You aren't telling us your public IP address, so the ports are all behind your wall right now and remain safe.

Master Untangler

I've been reading the wiki, thought I had it all setup okay but I'm failing. I keep on trying though.

I'm trying to open ports 80, 443, 9090, 4125. They all point to the windows home server for website, file transfer, and a service I'm running.

When I go to the website address that is part of the port fowarding all I get is the untangle admin login page? How can I get rid of port 443 for untangle? Maybe that's part of my problem?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by lohearn; 11-11-2009 at 10:56 PM.

mdh

In Untangle, go to CONFIG->ADMINISTRATION. On the first tab, you can change the admin port from 443 (the default) to another port. Then your server's 443 will be usable.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by lohearn View Post
    I've been reading the wiki, thought I had it all setup okay but I'm failing. I keep on trying though.

I'm trying to open ports 80, 443, 9090, 4125. They all point to the windows home server for website, file transfer, and a service I'm running.

When I go to the website address that is part of the port fowarding all I get is the untangle admin login page? How can I get rid of port 443 for untangle? Maybe that's part of my problem?

[IMG][/IMG]
    You need to add 1 more condition to that rule "destination local", so that it goes to your internal windows home server.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dknyinva View Post
    You need to add 1 more condition to that rule "destination local", so that it goes to your internal windows home server.
    Oops, I had that there at one point but somehow to forgot to add it back in.

Here's the port forward settings:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here's what WHS thinks about it:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast