Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post
    I have only gotten to the point where it says "You must reboot your machine to complete installation..."

I loaded the CD from within windows, and installed it that way. I never booted from the CD...

So I SHOULD reboot? but be sure not to select a specific option?

edit:
    quite honestly, I wasn't paying attention to the installation wizard (in Windows)... I was busy doing 10 other things, and jumped the gun with the Untangle install... I downloaded the wrong one (the ISO instead of the exe for Windows)...
    This makes zero sense.

The Windows version is a setup file that can be installed from windows and works as you describe. The full install can't be run from windows at all, it is an ISO image file that makes a CD. The ONLY way that full installation fires is if you burned the CD and booted the computer to it.

So, if you did all this from within windows, you've destroyed nothing. But you've also not installed the dedicated server. You've installed the windows version.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    If sbs server is running, backup now,all disks, include system state and information store of exchange.

And good luck, you need it
    +1

Untanglit

So... There's really no easy answer? Because it's gonna take a long time to backup everything... And I'm not gonna be there for the next 4 days...

It mentioned something about reducing the size of the Windows partition, but it said I will make that choice when it boots into Untangle Server...?

Untanglit

I DLed the ISO, burned it, and popped in the CD (while windows was running)... Autorun came up with an exe file on the CD and ran a debian installer (?)

I realized that I clicked on the wrong version of untangle from the site and had downloaded the server version instead of the windows version... Like I said, I really wasn't paying attention... I followed the basic instructions on the download page not realizing it was the wrong version...

Master Untangler

Bottom line, you need to backup your system right now. No reboots. If you are not willing todo that, then no one can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by far182 View Post
    +1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post
    I DLed the ISO, burned it, and popped in the CD (while windows was running)... Autorun came up with an exe file on the CD and ran a debian installer (?)

I realized that I clicked on the wrong version of untangle from the site and had downloaded the server version instead of the windows version... Like I said, I really wasn't paying attention... I followed the basic instructions on the download page not realizing it was the wrong version...
    I've never actually tried that, technically you are correct in that Debian can resize a windows partition to allow a machine to dual boot. Yes that type of install on the Debian side can run while windows is up, and yes it requires a reboot.

I've never tried an Untangle installation doing this... so I blitzed that as a possibility. If you're at the "please reboot" screen you've already ignored the multiple warnings about potential data loss. You've already modified your partition table, and you've already installed linux.

At this point, I don't think data loss is a concern. However, you have replaced your boot sector with GRUB, which may or may not be able to boot your windows server successfully. The next time the power fails to that box you're going to find out the hard way.

Your best case right now is the installer completed normally, and you can now dual boot the server. Worst case it won't reboot, but the data partitions are still in place.

Have fun formatting the server to undo the partition damage. If you're uncomfortable in this realm you need to find a support pro to help you.

And ditto to the former suggestion. Full backup that server NOW, do not pass go, don't go anywhere else. If that server reboots for any reason and you don't have a full data set and ability to restore that SBS box you will have no recourse if the unit doesn't come back on.

P.S. I don't know what SBS version you're using but if it's 2008 you can kiss the box good bye when it resets. Grub can't boot server 2008. It can boot server 2003 and older.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by far182 View Post
    Bottom line, you need to backup your system right now. No reboots. If you are not willing todo that, then no one can help you.
    I will absolutely back everything up... That's not a question, really...

but I'm wondering if there is a "next step" after I back up...? Like, is rebooting my next step? Or should I try to use the uninstaller it made to remove it first?or is there something else I'm missing?

I'm mentioned the time it may take to backup because I still don't know what do afterwards, and i'll basically be sitting on my hands till it's done (which may take more than 12hrs)...

See my above post.

If Debian installed itself in "dual boot mode" you will have one of two things happen.

1.) The unit can now boot both OSs
    2.) The unit can only boot linux

The windows partitions should still be there even in the latter case. The boot sector will need repairs. This can be done with the windows installation media without a full reinstall.

Now, if you go through that boot repair you still won't have the 80gb of drive space that linux is burning. To fix that you'll need partition magic, or something similar.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    See my above post.

If Debian installed itself in "dual boot mode" you will have one of two things happen.

1.) The unit can now boot both OSs
    2.) The unit can only boot linux

The windows partitions should still be there even in the latter case. The boot sector will need repairs. This can be done with the windows installation media without a full reinstall.

Now, if you go through that boot repair you still won't have the 80gb of drive space that linux is burning. To fix that you'll need partition magic, or something similar.
    Well, I'm not sure if its in "dual boot mode" or not

I'm gonna start a full back up now.

My system disks (2 x 1TB - RAID0) don't have much of the data that the office uses. I have 4 x 1TB - RAID10 for that. Its mostly the OS on the system drive, and the user folders (btw, we have SBS 2003 R2).

Our Exchange store is definitely on the system disk, and is very important to keep.

I can't just create a Hard drive image, can I? that would keep whatever Debian installed, right?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast