Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Nope, it's too late for an image.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Okay... thought so

So I looked at the "Add/Remove Programs" and saw "Debian-Installer Loader"... I can't just remove that?? Not going to without an OK from you guys, but was just curious...

sbz
    Untangler

Is this some kind of joke?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sbz View Post
    Is this some kind of joke?
    No

Master Untangler

System disk on RAID 0? That is a bigtime no-no. And exchange is on the RAID 0? Then other stuff is on your RAID10? What is going on? Who architected that?

Untanglit

I mean System/Exchange is on RAID1... sorry

I take that back, yet again... it IS RAID0... I forgot how I had set it up...
    I just migrated over to new hardware, and I'm doing too many things at once right now...
    Last edited by tazinlwfl; 12-16-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Untanglit

Here is some options using linux to get data from your disks if nothing boots. It is easy to access disks and partitions using about any linux bootable iso.

Though it is possible that your raid controller may not be supported. In that case you will have to access the disks separately.

Since you are using raid 0 that complicates things. You should not be using raid 0 with sensitive data. If a drive fails you will lose data. Stick to raid 1 or 10 with mirrored drives.

If you can access a disk partition, you then mount another separate drive and use the dd command at the cli to copy everything from one partition/disk to another. Google dd command wikipedia has examples. You can also use a gui to copy and paste, but dd makes sure that you get everything as copy may omit the last block if it is an unexpected lenth. The cli is your best friend.

Here is the link to GParted, a great gui partition tool. But I do not know if it will support your raid controller. If I remember correctly you can mirror a partition with it. If you are able to access the partition with the raid running you can mount another drive and mirror to that drive. I works wonders with single drives.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Untanglit

Good just seen your correction with raid 1 after I posted. Just use your choice of linux flavor to access one of the disks, if your backup fails and it does not boot, and get all your data. Linux is your best friend.

Untanglit

Okay... Data and System State is being backed up now (to the other set of Hard Drives, actually)

Can someone tell me the installation options when installing using the Debian-Installer (through windows) method? I clicked "Normal" installation, but what are the options in "Advanced"? Because there was NOTHING about losing data or formating or anything like that in the wizard until the VERY end (when it tells me I have to reboot to finish the installation)

That is where it mentioned shrinking the Windows Partition

But can that be done with RAID0?
    Is that even an option in the Untangle set-up when I reboot? Where is that option to install it without erasing my Windows?

Even in my worst nightmares.
    Tazinlwfl:
    NO, no image!!!, traslate the error
    The old and loved NTBACKUP, all disk c:, system state, eschange store, and if are sql also include a dump of the databases.
    Incidentally advantage and assemble an RAID 1 whit both disk.
    Then take your cds of sbs2003 , the drivers cd, the diskette whit raid controller driver (F6 option in installation), and install 2003 server basic , only this. Then restore it from back up.
    Do not forget to call pizza hut delivery, sure you work all night.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast