Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Exclamation I think I made a big mistake!!

I installed Untangle Server rather than Untangle for Windows...
    I haven't rebooted yet, but I CANNOT lose any data... I DO NOT want it as a dedicated server, I want to run the Windows version...

before rebooting and starting the final steps of the installation, can I just uninstall it? If I uninstall it, will it still try to finish the installation upon boot and wipe my HDD?

This was a stupid mistake, but I absolutely cannot risk losing the windows system that is already there. It is my company's Windows SBS machine, and it cannot be formated or anything...

Please Help!!

-Tim

Master Untangler

Your data is lost if you continued the installation and clicked YES to delete the data, you will be more stupid if you did that otherwise your safe. i suggest remove the CD and boot your windows SBS and install untangle for windows over it. IMHO do not do it since it creates complication, my suggestion is to try on a spare PC rather then the windows SBS.

regards
    alhadi

Untangle Ninja

Hi,

how far have you come in the dedicated installation?
    have you selected yes on the "you will lose all data on the drive"?

Untanglit

I have only gotten to the point where it says "You must reboot your machine to complete installation..."

I loaded the CD from within windows, and installed it that way. I never booted from the CD...

So I SHOULD reboot? but be sure not to select a specific option?

edit:
    quite honestly, I wasn't paying attention to the installation wizard (in Windows)... I was busy doing 10 other things, and jumped the gun with the Untangle install... I downloaded the wrong one (the ISO instead of the exe for Windows)...
    Last edited by tazinlwfl; 12-16-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    Hi,

how far have you come in the dedicated installation?
    have you selected yes on the "you will lose all data on the drive"?
    I'm not even sure when it says that... is that before or after it tells you that a reboot is necessary??

You are either going to:
    A) pop out the CD and reboot, hoping that it could not load via windows (since we dont know what information was displayed on your screen, or what you agreed to), thus it would require your system to reboot to load from the CD, and making it where nothing changed on your system, and you are happy

OR
    B) it loaded UT, you agreed to the wipe your disk section (every version of UT or any other OS for that matter always has this), and it wont matter if you eject the disk and reboot, your machine was wiped.

I tend to believe you are in section A, since even trying to install Windows 7 on an XP machine will tell you that you will need to reboot, since there is no clear upgrade path..etc.

Regardless it sounds like your at a point right now where you dont have much choice, but to pop out the CD, and see what happens. if you select NO to the reboot do you still have windows up? Accessible? This will tell more as well.....

Are you still able to access your SBS server? If so is sounds like you did not do the dedicated server install and you might be okay.
    Karl Hart
    www.cyberconsecurity.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by raditude View Post
    You are either going to:
    A) pop out the CD and reboot, hoping that it could not load via windows (since we dont know what information was displayed on your screen, or what you agreed to), thus it would require your system to reboot to load from the CD, and making it where nothing changed on your system, and you are happy

OR
    B) it loaded UT, you agreed to the wipe your disk section (every version of UT or any other OS for that matter always has this), and it wont matter if you eject the disk and reboot, your machine was wiped.

I tend to believe you are in section A, since even trying to install Windows 7 on an XP machine will tell you that you will need to reboot, since there is no clear upgrade path..etc.

Regardless it sounds like your at a point right now where you dont have much choice, but to pop out the CD, and see what happens. if you select NO to the reboot do you still have windows up? Accessible? This will tell more as well.....
    Windows is still up and running...
    The only choices I remember seeng are
    - agree to the terms
    - normal installation
    - install Linux (or something like that)

then after it finished the wizard, and created whatever files and directories it needed, it said I had to reboot and asked if I would like to reboot now. I said no...

Just to be safe since Windows is still up and running, BACK UP YOUR DATA.
    Karl Hart
    www.cyberconsecurity.com

If sbs server is running, backup now,all disks, include system state and information store of exchange.

And good luck, you need it

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast